512 -> 1024 MB RAM - Any point? (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I'm considering upgrading my system (see specs on left side) from 512MB to 1GB, while there stillis DDR(1) on the marked (even if they are pricey atm).

Is there any point doing this?

Waltz

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2004
    Kiel, Germany
    I upgraded my HTPC system from 512 to 768 MB some weeks ago. General MediaPortal performance did not seem to change, but the EPG is MUCH smoother now. After every system restart, entering the EPG would result in a 10-20 seconds delay while MP was loading EPG data; it just freezed for a while until I could start browsing the guide. Now, after the upgrade, I don't have to wait at all.

- Waltz

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I went from 512MB to 2GB.

Video playback (esp. HD) TOTTALY changed. It was like I upgraded the CPU.

Eeyore

Portal Pro
    April 2, 2006
    Newcastle, Australia
    Home Country
    when i upgraded my system, i went from 256MB to 1GB and the processor was went from 2.0GHz P4 to 2.2GHz Celeron....my whole system has totally changed because of the RAM...1 gig should be your lower target if you have the money

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I went from 512MB -> 1.5GB and it made a huge difference in MP.

When i upgrade my HTPC in a months time it will definetly have 2GB of memory.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks for good answers!
    I'll definitly upgrade.

You'll get a performance boost in XP and MP. The swapping file is used less often then.
    Anybody tried to use a USB-memory stick (or SD-card) for the swap file? Should increase performance I belive, since swap-file consist of many small files (low acces time).

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    swap file is one huge file... making its size static can increase performance a bit, but putting it on a slow read/write device will definately diminish performance

you got the idea from vista right?
    I believe vista makes a different kind of "secondary" cache on such devices

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm not sure how long a flash drive would stand up to the read/write cycle that a pagefile undergoes. I don't think it would be too long.

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    exactly (would you believe me that I was planning on writing this too and I forgot it while I was writing the rest? ...talk about Alzheimer desease eh?)

Users who are viewing this thread