A Linux version for the TV-Server (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfma

Portal Member
December 30, 2006
Home Country
Spain Spain
Started on: 2006-12-31
last update: 2006-12-31

Summary:
A Linux version for TV-Server. I don't think there's a need for Linux on the client side.

Description:
First of all, a big thanks :D to the developers for their great work.
Let me explain the reasoning for my request:
I'm in the early stages of designing my multimedia infrastructure. I've planned for a separate server and three clients. One of my goals is to have some degree of protection for my files and for that reason I have thought of RAID. But normally if you use RAID you are supposed to have all your disks identical !! What will I do when I need more space and disks of the size I have are no longer sold? What can I do with the five disks I already have, all of them with different sizes?
I have learned that under Linux I can use software RAID, and the only requirement for software RAID is to define same size partitions. So, with an adequate partitioning scheme I can use almost 100% of my available disks and improve my multimedia files protection through RAID 5 or RAID 1. In fact, I already managed to set up a Gentoo Linux working this way. I have used EVMS to manage the partitions and RAID configuration. Performance penalty is minimum.
As far as I know, you can´t do this with Windows XP (at least with home or professional editions). I think this file system flexibility is the main reason that justifies the need of a Linux version for the TV-Server.
On the contrary, the client is where I will play HD-DVDs (or perhaps Blue Ray). And those new formats have so many protections (DRM, AACS, HDCP) that I don't think there will be an open solution to play them in the short term. But we already have HD-DVD and Blue Ray software players that run under Windows XP and Vista. This is why I think that my client PCs must remain under Windows.

Sorry for the long explanation. Thank you and Happy 2007.

jfma

Portal Member
December 30, 2006
Home Country
Spain Spain
I've already done the search. What I found is some people trying to port the whole MediaPortal to Linux. I understand there are three key issues in this task:
Directshow: very difficult
.NET: not so difficult
TV Card support: I don't think it's so bad under Linux though my experience is very limited.

I wouldn't suggest to fully port MediaPortal to Linux. But porting TV-Server to Linux is only affected by the last two items, you will only have to capture, record and send streams. Nothing is played on the TV-Server so you can skip the whole Directshow issue.

Am I missing something?

jfma

Portal Member
December 30, 2006
Home Country
Spain Spain
:oops: I'm sorry. I assumed no DirectX or Directshow was needed in the server because every display related code would be in the clients. I was thinking of hardware encoding and just recording and playing the card's output. I forgot the use of Directshow filter for stream encoding or re-encoding.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
DirectShow is not only about displaying stuff, it's more about building filter graphs. Both, MediaPortal & the TV server are based on this technology.

jfma

Portal Member
December 30, 2006
Home Country
Spain Spain
Alternative suggestion: MediaPortal client plugin for MythTV

Alternative proposal:
If developing a Linux version of the TV-Server is too complex, perhaps a MediaPortal client plugin to transparently communicate with a MythTV backend/server should be easier to make.
Perhaps not the most user-friendly solution, but installing MythTV shouldn't be harder than installing any Linux distro. A small sacrifice for those of us who are crazy enough to take this dual OS path. ;)

jfma

Portal Member
December 30, 2006
Home Country
Spain Spain
But, can you do it on different size disks? How? On Linux I only have to make same size partitions to enable RAID. For example, I can have 4 disks with these sizes: 40GB, 80GB, 120GB and 120GB and I can do the following:
1 partition for the whole 40GB disk (let's call it disk A)
1 partition for the 80GB disk (disk B)
2 partitions for each 120GB disk (disks C and D), one partition with 40GB and another with 80GB.
Then I can have RAID 5 with disk A and the 40GB partitions in disks C and D. And with the 80GB disk B and the other two 80GB partitions (disks C and D) I can have another RAID 5. Any disk may fail and the array can be rebuilt.

Can you do that with Windows XP?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    But, can you do it on different size disks? How? On Linux I only have to make same size partitions to enable RAID. For example, I can have 4 disks with these sizes: 40GB, 80GB, 120GB and 120GB and I can do the following:
    1 partition for the whole 40GB disk (let's call it disk A)
    1 partition for the 80GB disk (disk B)
    2 partitions for each 120GB disk (disks C and D), one partition with 40GB and another with 80GB.
    Then I can have RAID 5 with disk A and the 40GB partitions in disks C and D. And with the 80GB disk B and the other two 80GB partitions (disks C and D) I can have another RAID 5. Any disk may fail and the array can be rebuilt.

Can you do that with Windows XP?
    at first, i hope that this does not (again) drift to a Windows :vs: Linux War !

about the Raid (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks):
    ::RAID-wikipedia::

generally speaking, forgett these software raid "solutions" (Windows/Linux doesnt matter).
    better buy a decent RAID-Conroller. ;)

you should also be aware of the fact that a high performance RAID, requires HDDs with equal capacity.

::RAID-Levels::
    please do not use JBOD, use RAID1, 5 or 6.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom