A new project (1 Viewer)

Tgx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi,

As you already know, i'm the author of the Black Glass skins collection. A lot of good new skins have been released for Mp1 and new members are joining the Design Team. I feel it's time to move on and contribute to the development of Mp2. I've got a new skin concept and it requires animations and movements that Mediaportal 1 cannot provide. Instead of trying to adapt the skin for Mp1, limiting its potential features, i would try to build the skin for Mp2.

All i need is some help from you, some advices about where to start and which application to use.

Thank you very much in advance.

Tgx

frankteb

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: A new project

Like your Black Glass Skin since your first release. Hope you create another cool and stylish skin. Do you have more information about the new skin concept? Perhaps any mockups ?

All i need is some help from you, some advices about where to start and which application to use.
    Like Black Glass Skin I'm a big fan of a clean and clear skin, so make it simple (WAF / CUF (=Children Usability Factor)).
    About applications, didn't know which Plugins are already MP2 compatible. Otherwise I think the usual suspects should be supported (SlimTV, MoPi, TVSeries, Music, Pictures).

Tense waiting....

frankteb

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

To start into MP2 skin design, I'd strongly suggest you learn a bit about XAML and WPF (windows presentation foundation). You can use visual studio 2010 (express even) and create a new project (WPF app) and start to design a xam windowl. The xaml you create in the visual studio designer can almost be copied to MP2. (but not all elements are supported by MP2)
    Also a bit info is here. IF you need a current MP2 build for testing you can actually compile it with visual studio 2010 express (or ask me to supply one for you :) )

Tgx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Re: AW: A new project

Sorry, no mockups yet. I've a lot of ideas and some rough sketches on paper. The skin will have a minimalistic appearance and will be very elegant and clear looking. As usual it will be very easy to use and intuitive. Let's see if i'll be able to develop it for Mp2! :)

Thanks

Tgx

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Nice to read this! Of course I'm also there to give help and advices :)

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If your workflow mostly fits to the one of a designer(instead of a programmer) i would strongly suggest to use the Microsoft Expression Suite to design your skin.

The (visual) designer in Visual Studio 2010 is not only unstable and slow crap but most notably designed for developers with their workflow...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Tgx, did you already look into MP2? Is there anything for that I can offer support?

Tgx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Re: AW: A new project

Tgx, did you already look into MP2? Is there anything for that I can offer support?
    I confess to be still in the early stages, experimenting with xaml files and Wpf. The thing that for me it's more difficult is that the skin is scattered among many files nested into each other, very differently than the way i was used to with Mediaportal1 skin files.

Thanks

Tgx

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I understand this, I had the same problems in the beginning. But once you understand the structure it is very easy to change styles and layouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom