A question about PC to TV quality (1 Viewer)

sushyoshi

Portal Member
January 6, 2008
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Hi

I´ve finished mounting my PC to use as media center in my living room and just connected it to my TV ( a large one, not a LCD). I´m only using it to watch video files on my pc so it doesnt have a TV card.

The pc is connected to the TV with a S-Video plug. I have a ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRo video card.

When i am watching TV normally (using the cable connected to the TV) i get the picture quality really good on my TV and shows smooth and doesnt hurt my eyes.
The problem is when i switch to the channel where my PC is displaying the picture. The picture is realy distorted,looks painfully bright and it really hurts my eyes. This is most noticeble with videos that have more white screens ( movies with darker pictures i dont notice that much). Is this normal? Why cant i get the same quality that i have when watching TV when im whatching something on the PC?

Can someone really explain this why this happens and is this normal to happen? :confused:

tonyscha

Portal Pro
May 2, 2007
Iowa
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
if your only using s-video, this is a very crappy connection to hook your pc to your tv. I have mine connected using component, or if your tv supports hdmi,vga,or dvi would be your best bet

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
also, you might be able to set something on your PC, maybe a gamma setting. various tools can do this but it is reasonably likely that your video card drivers will have tools to do this. if its a nVidiathere is an icon in control panel that will lead you to all the settings allowing you to set your picture less over bright. CRT tvs display brighter but less focased than a PC monitor, that may be why the default settings may be fine for a monitor but not so good for a TV

zion22

Portal Pro
April 6, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
if your only using s-video, this is a very crappy connection to hook your pc to your tv. I have mine connected using component, or if your tv supports hdmi,vga,or dvi would be your best bet

I'm not support that statement. I've got my PC hooked up to my CRT TV using SVHS and tbh, I can hardly tell the difference from my DVB-T top box and the picture produced by MP and the TV card.

There's a few thing to take into account here tho:
* Gfxcard. The quality on the output differs quite alot.
* TV-Card. Totally depends on the how good the picture is captured. DVB is perfect for me, Analog is worse quality.

If you play a DVD or a high-quality movie file, is the quality still bad?

sushyoshi

Portal Member
January 6, 2008
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Well i got my problem a bit more solved when i updated my graph card drivers.
Now my problem itself it isnt the quality of the movies because thats really great.
The problem itself is almost unnoticeble , it is some flickering (really really fast, almost dont notice) that when compared when watching analog TV (without using the PC) it can bother a little bit.
And yes when i watch DVDs its the same.
Maybe it is just me and my eyes that got be used to my LCD monitor, but i really wanted to know if this is really normal to happen

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What's the refresh rate set in your graphics software, should be at least 50hz for PAL and 60hz for NTSC.

PAL can also be 50\75\100hz, not sure on NTSC multiples.

Higher is better but only if your TV\monitor supports this.

Dubyahjay

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2007
    Atlanta
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    If you have an ATI card, they also have a "flicker removal" feature in the catalyst control center. If the flash happens to be cause by interlacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom