A question of any Networking guru's (1 Viewer)

mickb

Portal Pro
June 8, 2005
Travelling Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
I have just relocated and inherited a cable internet connection. The router that came with the connection has ISP modified firmware that doesn't allow me to change the LAN IP address (192.168.0.1). From my previous location I mapped my MP system to a NAS with a static IP address (192.168.1.100) which has me in a quandry. If I change the IP on the NAS, I will need to remap the drive and will loose all of the settings of watched shows in "My TV Series & Moving Pictures" etc. My setup uses Win 7 Home Premium and a Thecus N5500 NAS over a wired network.

I have set my NIC up as a static IP address (192.168.0.6) (with the DNS and gateway of 192.168.0.1 etc) and added a second IP address (192.168.1.6) in the Advanced Tab to my HTPC with no gateway. In this configuration I can/can't:

• I can connect to the internet
  • I can Ping my NAS unit
  • I can open a Firefox session, enter 192.168.1.100 into the address and open the NAS configuration
  • I can't browse to the NAS unit to view the shared directories (The path was not found)
Can anyone advise if it is at all possible to make any further config changes that will allow me to browse the NAS unit on the second sub-net or do I just bite the bullet and change the NAS IP address?

Cheers
Mick

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
December 9, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
If it was me, I would probably have used something like sqlite expert to change all references of the old ip to the new in the tv series db. This way there's no need to mess with different ip ranges.

//W

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Why do you think you loose your Settings? The watches Status is saved per movie/episode... And you can use follw.it or trakt to synchronize this too. And there is a possibility to save and import watched Status as file.....
    So lots of ways to keep it...

mickb

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2005
    Travelling Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Lehmden, excuse my ignorance but I thought when I changed the IP address the setup of My TV Series and Moving Pictures would no longer be valid and I would have to re-map the drives and this would end up as a fresh install of the data with none of my old watch status saved. If there is a way to avoid that I would be very interested to get your assistance/ advice.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    First of all, did you use IP Address as path inside MovPic and TVSeries? That's the only case something changes to your collection at all.
    IF you have a path like \\NAS\Movies\ or a drive letter assigned to the network share there will be no problem at all as the change of IP Address did not change anything as long as you keep the name of the NAS (and drive letter) as it was before.

If you really used IP Address in path (I've never seen a setup having this) you can export watched status in TV Series Config, Tab "General" see "Export watched flags" and re- import them later with "Import watched flags".
    Zwischenablage-1.jpg

And the most easy way to keep this is the use of services like follw.it or trakt. I'm using follw.it so I just can tell about this. But I'm sure trakt has similar functions... You need to create a follw.it account (if you did not have any) and do a full sync with your collection (Moving pictures and TVSeries). Then the watched status is synced also. This is not only a good way to backup this. If you like, you can use it to sync watched flag between multiple HTPC clients, no matter if they are running MediaPortal or XBMC,...

mickb

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2005
    Travelling Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi,

Well I have changed the IP addresses and as suggested, I was worrying about nothing. Another thing I have learned. All of the watched data flowed across and episode data updated, for the most part. The odd episode that was added while there was no internet connection on the HTPC have stayed with a generic Episode 17 (example) tag but I should be able to sort that over time. Movies added have all shown up in the Recently Added list so all is good. Now to setup a follow.it account and fix the final area of concern.

I thank all the forum members for their advice, the community and the help that is freely offered is one of the best things about MP and why it is only getting better with each release.

Cheers

Mick

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom