A way to get MediaPortal onto a secondary display WITH directx acceleration (1 Viewer)

benrjunk

Portal Member
September 20, 2006
So here it is. It's a little complex and requires 2 additional applications (both shareware and common), but it definitely works (I am using it).

The additional applications required are:
1. Girder (3.x) - old freeware version attached to this message
2. Ultramon (works with v.2.5, other versions not tested)

For this to work, you must use Girder and the attached MP.GML file to automate the execution of MediaPortal.

What Girder does when you start MediaPortal (NOTE: you must start MediaPortal through Girder!!):
1. enables secondary monitor (i.e. TV) via a command sent to UltraMon.
2. swaps primary and secondary displays again by a command sent to UltraMon.
NOTE (a): this process leaves your icons and start menu on what was originally your primary display (i.e. your computer monitor) so you can continue to use your computer as if there were no changes.
NOTE (b): since the primary and secondary displays are switched, directx acceleration is enabled on your television!
3. launches MediaPortal, switches to fullscreen mode.

What Girder does when you close MediaPortal (again, this must be executed through Girder)
1. closes MP
2. Swaps primary and secondary displays (so your monitor is again your primary display)
3. disables secondary monitor (i.e. kills output to TV).

Known issues:
1. MediaPortal cannot be set to start in fullscreen mode. The automated Girder script puts MP in FS mode, though.
2. When MediaPortal is running, some of your applications may launch to your TV instead of the monitor because at that time the TV is your primary display. However, you can use ultramon to ensure applications open on your monitor.

I have quite a bit of Girder experience, but no computer programming experience. I assume these tasks could easily be executed in a VisualBasic program ......

Good luck!

Ben

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    FYI,

I removed the attachment of the freeware version of girder as we're not allowed to host this file in our forums. I hope you understand this. I approved the download of the .GML file.

Kind regards,
    Michel

LameBMX

October 6, 2006
    I found it easier to use ultramon's hotkeys for this ... allows MP to start in fullscreen on second monitor ... also allows me to switch back to having monitor 1 as my main monitor (otherwise everything opens on TV with MP) ... this does have a couple bugs to it ... 1 after switching back to LCD monitor as primary gamepad dont work with MP anymore even if i switch back to TV as primary ... second it is a little buggy with just flat out disappearing (seems to happen most when an application goes fullscreen on LCD as primary) good news is it leaves directx accelleration on TV even though LCD is primary and that is prolly also the main cause of the bug of MP disappearing.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I think your subject is a little misleading and should be edited.

You really aren't getting DirectX to work on the 2nd monitor (which the topic implies), you're simply swapping the diaplays around.

rille

Portal Member
    December 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    How do I run Mediaportal through Girder?
    When I just doubleclick my Mediaportal icon on the desctop, the program just opens up as a window on my pc monitor...

Not much Girder experience but it looks like a clever solution :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom