About to take the plunge; newbie question (1 Viewer)

pairajacks

March 22, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've struggled with MythTV, so now I'm looking to try a windows based PVR.

My setup:
Windows XP
Haupauge PVR-150 (not the MCE). I have the standard 4-button "dog bone" blaster
Cable set top box (Comcast)

Questions
1. Blaster to change channels; Can this be done with my non-MCE version of PVR-150?
2. How to get TV schedule data; Does MediaPortal use Schedules Direct (like MythTV)? Is it easy to get/maintain/expensive?
3. Does the wakeup and shutdown computer for recording a show work well/easy to set-up? (I don't want to leave my computer on all the time. This is actually where I had the most problems in Linux. I figure with Windoze, I won't be as lost.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    1. dont know
    2. uses xml style tv guide through xmltv plug-in which comes with tv server. Dont know about costs in USA aas I am in Australia, but I would assume there's something available for free
    3. If your machine normally does s3 through the OS then it should be ok with Powerscheduler. (Powerscheduler is the plugin that comes with tvserver)

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    2. I use the data from the DVB-t, that is easy to setup and I think australia would have been the last place to start sending that, so if it works here it probably works everywhere. using a downloadable guide was a PITA to get working but possably wouldn't be if the TV companys wern't activly trying to prevent people having a TV guide like they were here.

3. having the computer wake up is easy enough, having it go back to sleap seeme to work well too. the only thing I would like is some easy way to nicely turn off the machiene. I can press a button to hibernate it but that will do so even if something is recording or I can use the mediaportal button but that can not be assigned to a remote button so requires seven or eight button presses to turn the machiene off.

a lot of the configuration is not all that obvious but it should be far better than any linux based config.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm a little confused by what you mean with "blaster." Usually that refers to a device that jumps between one IR receiver and another so you can send signals for example from your MCE receiver using the MCE remote to the STB. You refer to a "four button dog bone blaster." I've never used a proper blaster so I have no way of knowing, but I don't think any of them have buttons. Are you talking about the remote here? Sorry if I'm wrong about this, I just don't know much about blasters.

If you're talking about the MCE remote, then yes it should work with your PVR 150. You'll configure MediaPortal to handle the MCE remote (it's a single checkbox, one of the easier things to configure) then it will send all the necessary signals to your card. I believe MP can also handle a proper blaster setup to send signals to the STB, search forums for other people who've set this up.

Also, I'll agree with those above who suggest SchedulesDirect. It's by far the easiest way to get EPG in the states. It costs $20/year and is worth every penny. Sign up for the free trial first and you'll have two weeks to experiment and be sure you want to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom