AC3Filter (2 Viewers)

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    For AC3 and DTS fans, i have a new toy waiting to be evaluated: View attachment WMPlayer.mpi
    It's a simple plugin that hosts Windows Media Player and allows you to use the AC3Filter to playback DTS and AC3 audio either over analog out or S/PDIF.

Instructions for use:
    1. Install and configure AC3Filter, if not already done
    2. Install the plugin and enable it
    3. Make sure the file extensions you use (wav, dts, ac3) are on its extensionlist
    4. Remove these extensions from the lists of any other external players
    5. See if it works!

If you have AC3filter decode into analog output, there's also the WMP visualization available (fullscreen only)

Let me know if this is usefull!

Symphy

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Symphy,

Useful does not even cover it....but does not work on my system.

WMA/AC3 is working and the only way I can now play DTS tracks, attached is mediaportal.log & error.log showing the exception when this is accessed.

Using the current/latest MP SVN

Only testing DTS tracks, extentions .dts and .wav

Hope you can sort this as this will give me back DTS music as ASIO4ALL support on Vista is missing currenty.

Cheers

Trevor

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Not a good start... The IPlayer interface in MP has been changed AGAIN 2 days ago i see now... Will see what i can do.

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

That is does, works like a charm....but just found out I dont need PureAudio plug works fine with DTS encoded music now! Had just staict last time I tried it Very confused these days....

So both this plugin and PureAudio work fine......

Going away to figure out what is happening here...just trying todays SVN's so god knows :)

Thanks again

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Symphy. I just got this setup succesfully, great stuff!

I have to still use the PureAudio plugin for FLAC, but I've routed everything else to this plugin. I can play all of my 5.1 share perfectly now. That share has .dts 44.1khz, .dts 48khz and .ac3 48khz :)

Some thoughts:
    - Can Ac3Filter provide flac support? (i tried and the attempted file stuck at 0:00)
    - Is there any potential for oversampling functionality?

Many thanks.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    - Can Ac3Filter provide flac support? (i tried and the attempted file stuck at 0:00)
    AC3Filter itself doesn't, but there's a directshow flac codec available at illiminable Ogg Directshow Filters for Speex, Vorbis, Theora and FLAC Not sure what happens if you have DTS inside FLAC though...
    Note that WMPlayer plugin does not have all the advantages of PureAudio for 'normal' music, like gapless and bitperfect.

- Is there any potential for oversampling functionality?
    WMPlayer is simply Windows Media Player itself, so cannot add or change much. Maybe there are WMP plugins available for this, but i doubt it.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    AC3Filter itself doesn't, but there's a directshow flac codec available at illiminable Ogg Directshow Filters for Speex, Vorbis, Theora and FLAC Not sure what happens if you have DTS inside FLAC though...
    Note that WMPlayer plugin does not have all the advantages of PureAudio for 'normal' music, like gapless and bitperfect.

I did only want to use this for ac3 and dts, but when I tried to use PureAudio for mp3 straight after playing a dts file, the speakers were silent. Perhaps that's a bug? I'm thinking the ideal setup is FLAC/MP3 via PureAudio and AC3/DTS via this WMPlayer plugin, getting all the advantages.

:D !

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I did only want to use this for ac3 and dts, but when I tried to use PureAudio for mp3 straight after playing a dts file, the speakers were silent. Perhaps that's a bug?
    Does simply restarting the mp3 solve it? In that case it is a know issue with ASIO4ALL, don't have a solution for that yet unfortunately.

I'm thinking the ideal setup is FLAC/MP3 via PureAudio and AC3/DTS via this WMPlayer plugin, getting all the advantages.
    I fully agree;)

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    What more can I ask for? Yep, the mp3 plays on restarting and I use ASIO4ALL :eek: What is my credit card pin?!

I'm going to try the Revo ASIO method again to see why I ditched it in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom