Active topics page for phpBB (1 Viewer)

Would you like to see a active topics page in this forum?

• Total voters

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Some time ago I wrote a active topics page for my own forum ( www.kraak-forum.nl/active.php ). It is used by this forum to -> http://forum.interaddict.org/active.php . They are both phpBB forum version 2.0.18 . But it should work with all the 2.x.xx versions.

I love MP, but do not master C# enough to contribute anything to it.If disired, I can send the needed files to an admin...?
It's not written according to the phpBB standards, I only write one .php file and left the template file out. But it will adept to the forum layout completely by altering a few variables in the source. The only thing that needs to be done is upload the active.php file to the root-dir of the forum and add a link to the page_header.tpl file.

Please let me know if you think this could be usefull.

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    do i have to see that as an enhanced "latest chitchat"function? could be very useful indeed since i use that feature a lot but due to my request there were a similar function in appearance of a RSS-feed added recently.

nevertheless useful though (-;

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Personally I have no urgent need for this as i allways klick on "posts since last visit".
    But it has been asked to show the last 50 or so posts.

So what is the definition of "active topics" topics with posts from today? topics with more than 10 answers?

tomtom

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Actualy it works very simple. The topic with the newest post is the first one in the list, and so on, and so on .... till the bottom of the page :). The number of topic-links shown is defined by a variable. The number of posts has no influence. So also new topics are show. You know if you have seen the last post already by the color of the link (nothing fancy, just "a.visited" in CSS).

I like it that way because it feels much more intuitive than browsing thrue all the individual forums.

I like it more than "posts since last visit" because I can easely find back all the topics that are still in my short term memory (I dan't have very much of that anymore :p). If wished I could make the number of topics shown varible with help of i.a. a dropdownmenu.

50 topics si enough for me. In 19 out of 20 cases I can find the topic I need in three clicks.
    1: Open FireFox
    2: Klick shortcut to activetopics page
    3: Klick link to desired topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom