[TV] Add support for proper ATSC channel numbers (1 Viewer)

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I requested this quite some time ago, but nothing ever came of it, presumably since there were/are many fewer N.A. users/coders for MP. I hope things have changed now.

MP handles all ATSC channels solely by the RF channel reference. No TVs or A/V equipment (that I've seen anyway) do that for ATSC. The RF assignment is purely for the transport. Selection and reference to a station, is done by the virtual channel number embedded in the PSIP of the stream. Could someone on the team please look in to supporting the standard channel handling for ATSC channels, by making MP use the virtual channels in channel entry and guide etc., instead of the RF channels?

MP is already harvesting the required information. If I open the edit interface for an ATSC channel on the TV server, all of the virtual channel information is parsed there. The channel field has the RF channel assignment, while the Major/Minor fields have the virtual channel/subchannel info respectively. Standard ATSC channel reference/entry would be done as Major-Minor, using the MP harvested data.

All the TVs I've seen that have remotes that support MCE, have their "-" button for channel entry like 5-1, in the same position as the "*" on the MCE remote (just left of zero). It would be great if MP could support proper channel display, and allow entry as 5*1, and 23*1 etc., where the * displays as "-".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom