[Videos] Adding madVR support (1 Viewer)

Klarerwind

March 17, 2011
I understand that there is already a thread on MediaPortal forums discussing adding support of the madVR video renderer, a renderer that surpasses EVR in many aspects, theoretically creating the highest-quality video playback possible by leaving source video untouched/unmangled.

However, it is has already been over a year since the last post on that subject. I would like to petition the developers to reconsider adding madVR support, now that madVR has become more mature and stable. Currently, only a handful of players support this maximum-quality renderer, so that I am compelled to use MPC-HC as my external player in MediaPortal. This breaks overall integration, as I cannot easily resume a film where I left off, for example, or pause a film midway to change MediaPortal settings or check the weather. The whole experience is simply less enjoyable.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Any other users out there that would like to see support for this feature?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    madVR doesn't allow mixing of MP GUI and since it is closed source we cannot extend it to support it. So it is currently not possible from technological point of view.

Klarerwind

March 17, 2011
    @tourettes: What do you mean by mixing of GUI? Also, how did MPC-HC manage to achieve integration?

Displaying the MP menus and things like the pause OSD on top of the video

Ah, okay; that's what I guessed. Thanks for the replies. It's unfortunate that a purely political issue (non-open-sourceness) is impeding technological progress. Doesn't stop MP from being the best player ever, though.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Another problem it that madVR doesn't support any king of HW acceleretion (DxVA), even HW deinterlacing is not possible = very bad for interlaced TV source.

sunfire7

Portal Pro
    March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Mexico Mexico
    Check this out:

Code:
    madVR v0.66

* rewritten large parts of the OSD logic
    [B]* added APIs for media player devs to draw their OSDs/GUIs in exclusive mode
    * added API for media player devs to disable the madVR seekbar[/B]
    * fixed: OSD is now above subtitles instead of under
    * OSD + seekbar are now drawn to full window size, not to video rect, anymore
    * madVR debug OSD is now white with a dark background
    * using higher internal precision for internal calculations now
    * fixed a couple of bug in gamma / gamut / 3dlut processing
    * instead of yRGB, madVR/yCMS are now using the measured display primaries
    * improved compatability with uncompressed video files
    * fixed: avisynth -> ffdshow -> RGB -> madVR produced upside down image
    * fixed: seekbar showed up when playback monitor was positioned "under" primary
    * simplified calibration settings a bit more

madVR - high quality video renderer (GPU assisted) - Doom9's Forum

I want MadVR support too, quality is great!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    * added APIs for media player devs to draw their OSDs/GUIs in exclusive mode
    * added API for media player devs to disable the madVR seekbar

Those wont help. MP needs to be able to access that video texture directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom