Advanced Features (1 Viewer)

dobyken

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 8, 2009
    Florida Gulf Coast
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm new to MediaPortal but have been running PVR's for 15 years or longer starting with a capture card and timers on a Dish Network SD receiver. Currently I'm running Windows 7 MCE and Media Browser but am getting ready to setup a new MP box for use with a HDHomerun. Prior to Win 7 I ran BeyondTV connected to a DirecTV HD receiver with a couple of PVR-150 cards. I also have an extensive collection of DVD's stored in 2 Sony 985v Jukeboxes which are controlled with and older version of DVDLobby/MainLobby and a Global Cache GC-100 Network IR blaster. Automation such as irrigation and swimming pool pool control is with Homeseer and a Rain8 module. Music playback is currently using 2 wall mounted toshiba tablets and Mainlobby/MusicLobby screens. JRiver MC is set to pump out selected music out the rear speakers of my sound card and into Zone 2 of my Onyko receiver. I have stopped my DirecTV service and relie 100% on OTA and torrents for all my viewing. I played a bit with MP before I got the HDHomerun but never really did much beyond a test install. I do not want to spend any money on new software, hardware or upgrades so my choices boiled down to Myth or MP. Due to serious problems with ATI video drivers in Myth I decided to go with Media Portal.

I know there's been some work done with IR control and X10 but it doesn't look like it's progressed very far. I'd like to get all my PVR and automation down to one machine. Tell me if it's possible to duplicate most of the above features.

1. Control MP using very low spec touch screens. I'm not sure how much horsepower the front end uses but the remote units are only P300"s with 96 meg of ram. This would only be for the music playlist and X10 and will not display any video so a simple web interface would suffice. I would need a way to segregate the output so that I can feed the sound to zone 2 to Zone which goes to the kitchen and outside while TV output goes to the front speakers. This could also be done using multiple sound cards rather than using my current front/rear solution.

2. Currently in DVDLobby all I do is click on a movie and a macro loads the proper DVD from the Jukeboxes, changes Receiver inputs and switches and plays the DVD. I have software that I wrote that can send IR socket commands to the GC100 but is there the ability to run external commands when selecting a movie instead of
    playing a file from the hard drive. Since I'm changing inputs on the TV it would not matter if the database pointed to an intro file as long as I can also run an external command. Two pieces of information would be needed to be stored in the Movie database and passed as a parameter, the Jukebox number and the disk number. The Julebox number selects the IR port number of the GC100 and the disk number is the physical location of the dvd in the Jukebox. Please don't tell me to rip 700 DVD's.

3. I'll assume that I can find a way to import all my DVD records into the SQL server. Since DVDlobby info is stored in Access files I should be able to create a database connection in Access to populate most of the fields. I saw where there was a DVD Profiler import but I'm not sure if there's also a CSV type import.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom