[TV] Advanced Record - Record (Series) Once - using "series" recording filename formating rules (1 Viewer)

Scrounger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Could you please integrate a new function under advanced record option - Record series once. The same function like the record once function, but using series recording filename formating rules.

First i though it is a bug, that the advanced record -> record once option has the same function as the standard record once function (see Bugreport).

Why i need such a function?
    Think lot of MP users know such a scenario. You record a series with the MP advanced recording option (e.g. every Week at same time). But for some reasons (e.g. TvServer not waked up) you missed one or two episodes. A half year later, the series will repeat in TV. Now you only want to record the missing episodes with advanced recording once option. The result is, that this episode will saved under the "movies" recording filename formating rules - you lost the SxxExx informations.
    Additionally such a function would be very nice for plugin devs.

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Good idea!(y)
    I think it would be great if theres a way to define different types of recordings based on the genre tag from the EPG.
    For example...i got an documentary folder for moving pictures and sometimes i record a documentary from TV (Nat Geo, Discovery Channel...) so it would be nice if i could define that documentary`s should be saved inside this folder with the correct folder and filenames for movingpictures. The same for MP-TVSeries or MVCentral (MTVLive HD Concerts) and other Plugins.

Its may not related to your improvement suggestions, but it would be great also :)

What do you think? is something like this possible?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The trouble with these suggestions is that they add more options for regular users, and therefore add complication.

Perhaps we can refine the naming system so that it includes certain data from the EPG if present.

Mind you, if you edit the naming rules for movies (one-off recordings) to include the series/episode info, won't that give you what you want?

Scrounger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The trouble with these suggestions is that they add more options for regular users, and therefore add complication.
    And what for complication that could be ?
    In my opinion it's not logical to call the same function over two ways (Record Once = advanced Record -> record Once).
    A new function under the advanced record option named Record Series once is in my opinion, also understandable for regualar users.

Mind you, if you edit the naming rules for movies (one-off recordings) to include the series/episode info, won't that give you what you want?
    That could be a solution, but i think its not really a nice solution.
    Why?
    I explain it on an example.
    My Movie formating rules: Movies\%title%
    My Series formating rules: Serien\%title%\Staffel %series%\%title% - S%series%E%episode%.%name%

So Series and Movies will stored in different folders. The reason for that is, so i can set up Video Database (Mov.Pic.) only to look in the Movies folders and MP-TvSereis will only search for new Series in the Series folder.

Perhaps we can refine the naming system so that it includes certain data from the EPG if present.
    What do exactly mean. You will give the user a new option under the Movie formating rules, to set SxxExx formating rules or if the season and episodenr. is available, it will automatically append the SxxExx numbers?

If you only give the users the option to formating (like i described above), then Movies without such numbers will stored like e.g. Movie -SE.%ext% ?

I have take a look into the tvplugin code. At my opinion it must not be very difficult to create a new Option point under the advanced records options. I would like to create a patch, but i program in vb.net and not c#. I can try it, but can't test it.

Finally, i think it's better to have a new option record series once under the advaned record options - favorable to give plugin dev's a solution to call this function.

Hope you can understand my thoughts?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I understand what you mean about MovPic only scanning the movie database, but I feel that your reasoning is flawed.

Just because TV is using the Movie naming rules doesn't actually mean that this is a movie in the traditional sense. It could be a program that is just on once.

Maybe you only normally use this type of schedule for movies, but clearly this isn't the case because you are seeing the issue.

The simple solution is to set an 'every time on this channel' and then to cancel it once the program you wanted has been recorded.

Personally, I think it would be very unfriendly to set a recording and then ask you what naming rules you want. Equally, it would be unfriendly to add even more recording types for a rare usage (so far you are the first person to suggest this, although I accept that three people have agreed with you).

My own view is that if we add this, it will make it more complicated for many users.

Since these are one-off recordings anyway, why not just rename the file after it is recorded? I do this all the time for things I want to hang on to.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    If your EPG has episode numbers why not use "record everytime" and enable option to skip already recorded episodes? Much simpler and is already there.
    In fact it is way better than what you suggest. If you have missed 3-4 episodes (not necessarily in sequence) you only need to set the schedule once and MP will simply only record the missing ones - no need to check which you have missed and schedule an once recording each time.

If OTOH you do not have episode info in EPG using series filename template has no effect anyway.

cecke

Portal Member
    June 10, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

can you explaing how the "skip already recorded episodes" function works?

1. Checkbox "skip already recorded episodes"in TV Server settings
    2. Go to scheduler and record series (e.g. sopranos every day, same channel)

Waht happens then? In the schedule plan, I still see double episodes. Is the TV server quering the double episodes prior to recording and then skip recording?

I am also using epdisode scanner for naming the series - does this have any influence on the functionality above?

Thanks!

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Scheduler will skip already recorded episodes even though they are marked for record in TV Guide. It will do so when it attempts to start a recording*. But you need to have episode info in EPG - IIRC there is no episode info in DVB EPG and only few WebEPG/xmltv grabbers provide episode info.

* This has the added benefit that if, for some reason, you happen to delete the recording of an episode before it airs again, it will be recorded because the test for duplicate episodes is done just prior to recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom