Advantages over standard Videos function? (1 Viewer)

gorman

Portal Member
May 1, 2006
Hi!

I've finally managed to get My Films working, with proper coverart, data from IMDB, everything... but I have to say that I fail to understand what the real advantages over the built-in functionality is.

Could you open my eyes? As I'm sure I'm missing loads of stuff. :D

gorman

Portal Member
May 1, 2006
Wow... 57 views and no reply. :(

Are there no advantages? Is it just the database ease of access and modification (through ANT)?

teoh

Portal Member
May 14, 2008
Home Country
Norway Norway
I actually suscribed to this thread to see if MyFilms is worth installing, but guess not :p

mickyblue

Portal Pro
June 13, 2005
Brisbane Australia
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
the main advantages i find is

better dvd covers (higher res)

and the fact you can catalog the dvds you own thathavent been ripped to your HDD, i then use a custom field which tells me if this movie is located n HDD or DVD media or both

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have both configured, and still mainly use my videos, as it does what i want, a nice frontend for playing a movie of choice.

teoh

Portal Member
    May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Even when using the filmstrip view, I really don't see the need of hi-res covers. But that might just be me running on a 40" LCD.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MP should only download hi-res covers, it was broken, but was fixed ages ago, all mine show up fine on hdtv.

mickyblue

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2005
    Brisbane Australia
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    the main advantages i find is

better dvd covers (higher res)
    Not according to this: MediaPortal/Configuration/Movies/Database - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation. I see no reference to a limitation in resolution, or are you referring to how skinks portrait the available coverart?

in general the cover art downloaded by the myvideos are fine however i did notice a handfull we of poor quality, the other thing was it sometimes downloaded coverart that had nothing to do with the movie in question,

its just my personal opinion and i find it easier to modify the database using DVD profiler than the video database,

i only use thevideo section in MP for home videos etc that dont have any downloadable info etc

teoh

Portal Member
    May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    But do MyFilms plugin get the info on the films from the same places? I've noticed MyVideos getting info from imdb, and cover from Amazon. But with an original title like "El Maquinista" from imdb, it isn't able to get any cover from amazon, since the cover art most probably is called "The Machinist"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom