Tools and other software Advice for editing Mediaportal recordings (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a load of mediaportal recordings and I would like to cut out of the adverts and the padding from the beginning and the end.
I would also like to convert them to something a little smaller if possible to save some space.

Can anyone recommend any free software that will do the job?

Can anyone also advise the best conversion format to us? I have heard that I should convert my recordings to MP4 with the H.264 codec to give the best results - i.e. small size but preserved quality.

One other thing, I would like to keep subtitles in the conversion if possible.

Thanks very much.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Use Handbrake for any conversions, if normal profile used, then it keeps the resolution of the recording using h.264,

So by far the best mpeg\ts editor is Videoredo, even has a MP plugin for doing the cutting from the GUI :)
    Don't know of any free one that is as good, but if someone knows of one please tell.

Regards

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks for that.

I did suspect Videoredo was the only viable option - I suppose that if you want the best, you have to pay for it.

Do I need Videoredo in addition to Handbrake or can Videoredo do both the editing and converting?

littlematt

Portal Pro
    October 1, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    A hundred bucks is bordering on highway robbery for editing and transcoding H264 ts files. I cant believe they charge that much.

sparky21

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Is there a way of having used the add stripper when recording that handbrake or something else can take the .ts files and convert them automatically? manually doing each, each time is not the most elegant of solutions. I have .ts that are 12 GIG, which I am sure will come down to 1G or so, when converted to something else.

JiRo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2009
    Prague
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Is there a way of having used the add stripper when recording that handbrake or something else can take the .ts files and convert them automatically? manually doing each, each time is not the most elegant of solutions. I have .ts that are 12 GIG, which I am sure will come down to 1G or so, when converted to something else.

Try MCEBuddy. I have used this very nice piece of software for years (basically my Buddy running on my PC with TVServer longer then 2 year without any problems - number of converted files more than 200) . MCEBuddy is independent on Media Portal, but very usefull, flexible (runnig as service, lot of video formats, quality, comskip, time management, ...) and free of course!

Very practical is time management. My setup converted record after 14 days after end of recording. And after conversion delete the record. It means, 14 day I can show it throught Media Portal TV Recordings and delete it, if want, there without any conversion. It is very friendly to me and to my disk space too. :D

JiRo.

sparky21

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Looks fine as THE solution thanks. Does it do and then not redo files in subdirectories?

Sparky

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Looks fine as THE solution thanks. Does it do and then not redo files in subdirectories?

Sparky

Yes. It keeps a list of files. It also have option to remove a file from the processed-list for in case you need to redo.

littlematt

Portal Pro
    October 1, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I cant get MCEbuddy to go properly will fiddle with it some more. In the mean time Im having good results with smart cutter and handbrake. Smart Cutter is supposed to leave a watermark in the unregistered version, but I cant see it....
    Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom