Ongoing Advice on HTPC Builds for MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

sambo7

Portal Member
August 31, 2011
Home Country
Hi,

I am currently in progress of putting together components for a new HTPC that I would like to run Windows 7 / MediaPortal on. I have never built a HTPC before either so I have done a fair amount of research on the below components. As a bit of a guide I want to spend a little as possible and also want this HTPC to perform the same or better than my Beyonwiz PVR that I currently use. I want to be able to view HDTV and Record/View Live TV at the same time without any stutters etc.

I also want this HTPC to be as quiet as possible.

I have come up with the following specs (Intel Build and AMD Build). Advice from all of you would be greatly appreciated.

HTPC Intel Build - $642
CPU: Intel i3 2100
GPU: GeForce GT 430 Low Profile
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws-X 4GB (2x2GB) 1600
TV Tuner: Leadtek WinFast DTV2000DS Dual HD Tuner
Case: Antec NSK2480
PSU: Antec 430W
Media Remote: Windows MCE Remote

HTPC Intel Build - $537
CPU: AMD A8-3850 Quad Core Fusion
GPU: Onboard GPU
MB: ASRock A75M-HVS
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws-X 4GB (2x2GB) 1600
TV Tuner: Leadtek WinFast DTV2000DS Dual HD Tuner
Case: Antec NSK2480
PSU: Antec 430W
Media Remote: Windows MCE Remote

I appreciate the help.

Thanks again

Sam.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi sambo7

Unless I'm very much mistaken, your Intel build can't work - the motherboard doesn't have any PCI slots to accommodate the tuner.

mm

sambo7

Portal Member
    August 31, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi sambo7

Unless I'm very much mistaken, your Intel build can't work - the motherboard doesn't have any PCI slots to accommodate the tuner.

mm

PCI Express 2.0 is what the GeForece 430 is saying it supports so I see no reason why this won't work. I actually noticed you just built a HTPC using some of the components that I plan on using.

Do you think it's worth dropping the GeForce 430 and instead upgrade the CPU to i3 2105 instead of the 2100?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    PCI Express 2.0 is what the GeForece 430 is saying it supports so I see no reason why this won't work.
    By "tuner" I meant the "Leadtek WinFast DTV2000DS Dual HD Tuner", which is PCI.

I actually noticed you just built a HTPC using some of the components that I plan on using.
    I think you must be mistaken - my current PC (which does development, testing, HTPC, office... everything) was built roughly 4 years ago.

Do you think it's worth dropping the GeForce 430 and instead upgrade the CPU to i3 2105 instead of the 2100?
    It would be very tempting, depending on prices where you are. Do you require support for 1080i playback? If so I advise you get the advice of somebody with Intel HD 3000 graphics before making a decision. 1080i h.264 playback is the top level requirement for HTPCs these days and some integrated and lower end GPUs still struggle with it.

mm

sambo7

Portal Member
    August 31, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks for the info mate. I might stick with the GeForece GT430 as I would like to be able to play 1080i. Sorry I thought I read you were talking about the graphics. Can you recommend another tuner that is PCI Express?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There are quite a few dual DVB-T PCIe (and USB) tuners out there. It is really more down to what is available to you and what price range you're looking at. Hauppauge HVR-2200 and 2210's are quite popular here in NZ. DigitalNow also has a range of products that you might want to look at...

squidina

Portal Member
    August 5, 2005
    If you're not completely wedded to the components you have listed, you may be interested in Whirlpool's HTPC Suggestions.

The discussions in the forum is also good if you're not sure about something.

You may have already seen it, but as it's an Australian ( mainly ) forum, thought I'd bring it up anyway.

Good luck!

sambo7

Portal Member
    August 31, 2011
    Home Country
    Thank you for all the info. I have also been posting at whirlpool, though also wanted to hear from the people at mediaportal forums as this is what I will be installing on my HTPC.

I am now looking over my GPU selection for my Intel build. I have been reading up on both the GT 430 silent and the GT 520 silent. From what I have read it seems the GT 430 performs slightly better than the GT 520.

Has anyone had experiences with the GT 520? At the moment it seems the GT 430 is the way to go, though advice on these cards would be fantastic

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sorry, no comment on the NVidia front - I've not owned an NV card recently. If you were thinking about ATI, min recommended for good 1080i support is 4670, 5450 (or 5570 if you need 2560x1600 output), or 6450.

automationRulez

Portal Member
    July 22, 2011
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi sambo7,

What's your reason for using the NVIDIA card?
    I have just built an HTPC a few weeks ago using the i3 2105 (comes with HD3000 graphics), the same motherboard you've chosen and no external video card and things work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom