[Rejected] After [Build 24470] regretion wakeOnLan does not work (1 Viewer)

iosub

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
San Sebastian
on TVHome.cs
248 //Wake up the TV server, if required
285 //HandleWakeUpTvServer(); ---- IS COMMENTED so is not working

Also uncomenting does not work because there is another change that makes and infinityloop.
on build 24469 the code is like:
SetRemoteControlHostName();

//Wake up the TV server, if required
HandleWakeUpTvServer();

m_navigator = new ChannelNavigator();
LoadSettings();
================================
on build 24470 the code is like

//System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Launch();

RefreshConnectionState(); -------------->>> THIS LINE MAKES AND INFINITY LOOP and MP does not start (tv server never because HandleWakeUpTvServer() is not called)

LoadSettings();

//HandleWakeUpTvServer();
============================
I have change the code to:

//System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Launch();

HandleWakeUpTvServer();

RefreshConnectionState();

LoadSettings();

and now it works again..

Also there is another problem with Hostname, If I use Hostname then windows needs a longer time to be able to get a PING with a hostname so on the log file you get.. "WOLMgr: System PERIKO still not reachable, waiting..." but if i use an IP Address I get "WOLMgr: Ping 192.168.0.100
2009-12-17 03:02:49.054667 [Info.][MPMain]: TVHome: WOL - The TV server started successfully!

Hope this helps

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I cannot comment on the main issue, but:
    Also there is another problem with Hostname, If I use Hostname then windows needs a longer time to be able to get a PING with a hostname so on the log file you get.. "WOLMgr: System PERIKO still not reachable, waiting..." but if i use an IP Address I get "WOLMgr: Ping 192.168.0.100
    2009-12-17 03:02:49.054667 [Info.][MPMain]: TVHome: WOL - The TV server started successfully!

When you use hostmanes they have to be resolved to ip addresses. If you are using static IPs (which I guess you are, otherwise the IP address could change and you setup would stop working) the IP address is reachable as soon as the server wakes up. But when you use the hostname, it has to be registered somewhere (DNS or WINS server if you have one) or be resolved using broadcasts and NetBIOS name resolution.

Registration in a DNS or WINS server is not the first thing the server does upon wake up (this is OS related, nothing to do with MP). NetBIOS name resolution has never been fast as it involves broadcasts (announcements and queries) and timeouts in order to allow for slow clients and name conflict detection. Furthermore the service responsible for responding to NetBIOS name resolution requests (IIRC Workstation service) may take some time after waking up before it can respond to requests.

So in short: hostnames are always going to be slower than IP addresses, nothing we can do about this. If you are confortable with IP addresses and have no other reason to use hostnames (e.g. multi-homed server) by all means use IP addresses.

iosub

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    San Sebastian
    I cannot comment on the main issue, but:

When you use hostmanes they have to be resolved to ip addresses. If you are using static IPs (which I guess you are, otherwise the IP address could change and you setup would stop working) the IP address is reachable as soon as the server wakes up. But when you use the hostname, it has to be registered somewhere (DNS or WINS server if you have one) or be resolved using broadcasts and NetBIOS name resolution.

Registration in a DNS or WINS server is not the first thing the server does upon wake up (this is OS related, nothing to do with MP). NetBIOS name resolution has never been fast as it involves broadcasts (announcements and queries) and timeouts in order to allow for slow clients and name conflict detection. Furthermore the service responsible for responding to NetBIOS name resolution requests (IIRC Workstation service) may take some time after waking up before it can respond to requests.

So in short: hostnames are always going to be slower than IP addresses, nothing we can do about this. If you are confortable with IP addresses and have no other reason to use hostnames (e.g. multi-homed server) by all means use IP addresses.

Yes I agree with you, I was just pointing that because if you use HOSTNAME, ones MP starts (and also Start Tvserver using WOL) MP shows up a MSGBOX with "Connection lost to TvSever" and this is because the code on "HandleWakeUpTvServer(); ping did not get the responce" and makes RefreshConnectionState(); think that the server is not wakeup yet.

Hope this helps.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    No status update. Rejected.

Feel free to contact me or Arion_p if this patch still aply.

Simone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom