All in one - CPU/GPU motherboards (1 Viewer)

danzx2

Portal Pro
May 25, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about setting up a small HTPC using one of the all in one ITX motherboards. Most have a ATOM dual core processor and HDMI out. Such as Zotac, ASUS etc.

Does anyone use these? What are they like for 1080P movies etc?

Thanks

Dan

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi

Most people say the dualcore is fine, forget the singlecore version, just not upto the job. Though personally would go for a i3 with HD3000 graphics, but thats me always being over cautious on future needs.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: All in one - CPU/GPU motherboards

Hi.
    If you don't want to spend the amount of money needed for an I3 (what probably is the best solution atm) I would choose an AMD Brazoz E350 as it had more GPU power than Atom/ION combination.

For me personally this small ITX Boards/Cases would never be a possibility at all as I prefer discrete GPU Board (preferred NVidia atm due CUVID Codec, witch is only available for NVidia) to get all the advantage modern Software can give you. µ-ATX Board with full height Case is the smallest system I can imagine to fit my needs atm.

SimondusMaximus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hey.

I've been using older Zotac dual Atoms for a while and I've also tried the Asus equivalent. They're acceptable for playing all my movies including 1080p, no problem. But to watch TV then I have to set my TV's resolution down to 720 otherwise it stutters like crazy as they're just not quite powerful enough.

As mentioned above, the Intel i3's are great and after a short time of testing mine (i3 2100 with HD2000 GPU) it's handled everything I've thrown at it and is by far the best hardware I've used yet. Downside is that it costs quite a bit more.

Also my client cases are tiny and don't fit atx PSU's and I haven't found an all-in-one i3 that has a DC power supply yet, so I'm using a Pico PSU which pushes the cost up even more. That said, it works so well, it's almost worth the extra cash. So you'll have to decide on a budget and see what suits you best.

Good luck!
    Si

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Go for the AMD Platform either E-450 or a little bigger the A6 Llanos (integrated GPU).

Raytestrak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 12, 2008
    Honselersdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    E350 runs 1080p fluently and even plays DD TrueHD and DTS-MA. Moving Pictures isn't superfluent, haven't traced the cause yet. Would need to double check on another PC to identify the culprit.

Harry Cadders

Portal Member
    August 18, 2011
    Any other motherboards that run DD True HD and DTS MA, especially ones that also run hdmi1.4a (3d). I am trying to future proof. Or should i get a motherboard with hdmi 1.3 that :Druns DD True HD/DTS MA then buy a 1.4a graphics card later? All advice appreciated. I am about to take the plunge and haven't committed yet to intel or amd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom