All YLE (Finland) channels suddenly stuttering like mad. (1 Viewer)

pmcguire

Portal Pro
November 25, 2006
Home Country
Finland Finland
Hi,

I was just about to put the HTPC for primetime, last night I put it on the TV and most channels were OK. Then horrifyingly I discovered that the YLE channels are unwatchable. They stutter and tear and generally look awful, I am pretty sure this worked earlier.

What logs should I provide? Any Finnish users in DVB-T land?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    TsReader, TsWriter, Mediaportal. Those logs might show some errors, but its highly likely that such behaviour is not visible at all on the logs.

Anyone other noticed similar behaviour? I haved yet had time to test it.

pmcguire

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I thought it might be a problem with the broadcast, then I tested it with MCE on my other PC and it was just fine.

Lsandini (member here) played with it for about 3 hours, swapping codecs etc etc. Seemed to make no difference whatsovever.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Seems to work here ok. Older TVE3 version (althou there shouldnt be any changes lately that could corrupt the stream). Also DVB-C here, but it should contain exactly the same stream as the DVB-T.

So, logs / recording that is broken would be good to have.

lsandini

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Kuopio
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hello all,

Well I agree with Paul, and I posted earlier about my problems with only a few channels stuttering badly, while all others played well.

My system is DVB-C, and only one channel bundle had this problem after the cable company changed the channel order/frequencies, and that got fixed by changing the audio codec (go wonder). Could the service privider change the audio / video format of the stream ?

OTOH, watching live TV on those few channels was impossible in my machine, but recording those stuttering channels produced absolutely normal files, that I could playback either in MP or in VLC. On Paul's machine, the recording stutter as badly as the original live show. We used the same codecs for live TV and for movies.

In addition, on Paul's machine, we tried 2 different tuners, with identical results, so it's not a tuner/driver specific issue, and we tried a wide range of codecs, all decoding most channels perfectly, but stuttering badly on YLE channels. Disabling DVB subs didn't change a thing. Signal strength and quality are about 100%, as reported in the tuning info page.

On the STB and on a different machine running Vista Media Center with a single USB2 DVB-T tuner, the YLE channels play fine.

Any suggestion ?

Lorenzo
    (Paul, upload your logs please when you can)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Could the service privider change the audio / video format of the stream ?

Im pretty sure that its illegal for the broadcaster to tamper with the stream in Finland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom