Almost Embrassing (1 Viewer)

sparky21

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Folks,

I have alwys been wondering how far MP goes in relation to a much better interface around Music and started today (Finally) to see how powerful it is. This led me to this thread which is great. Nothing unsual, MP has all I need, now how to get it out of MP?

But

Having never tagged or tried to tag a thing before, I findthe interface in this tool confusing. I tried to set the tags according to the article cited above, but it comes back saying error, citing other "settings" that have / / and - - in them as far as the tag format structure is concerned.

Ok I thought I do not understand that exactly but lets try one of the presets. Now really not sure what I am doing or what the outcomes of the presets are for MP.

Here is what the goal is however. I have about 50,000 tracks to process. What would be cool if this tool could apply the tags and drag in the cover art from the same, to allow MP to "see" and "serach" on all the information now gathered.

Yes I know it is a big "start from the basics" posting, but I am kean to stay the path to understand how to use this tool to get the results required.

Anyone brave enough to assist?

I would even provide direct "take over my computer" access if this was faster.

Thanks in advance.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    sparky21,

maybe you have a misunderstanding of the guide that you quoted:

The setup and the screenshots describe the setup for certain (database) views and sorting of the tracks in MP.

It is not dealing with the tagging itsself. This has to be done before with an external tool.

An excellent tool for the tagging is MPTagthat, which is linked in the guide and developped by one of the MP team members (hwahrmann). It will help you to tag your tracks in many ways. But nevertheless, if your music doesn't have proper tags, the tagging of 50,000 tracks is a massive task. It might be quite simple if your naming of the files and folders is rather consistent.

Maybe you could install the tool and try to get a feeling of the possibilities. If there are questions, I might be able to assist you.

tomtom

sparky21

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2010
    Home Country
    sparky21,

maybe you have a misunderstanding of the guide that you quoted:

The setup and the screenshots describe the setup for certain (database) views and sorting of the tracks in MP.

It is not dealing with the tagging itsself. This has to be done before with an external tool.

An excellent tool for the tagging is MPTagthat, which is linked in the guide and developped by one of the MP team members (hwahrmann). It will help you to tag your tracks in many ways. But nevertheless, if your music doesn't have proper tags, the tagging of 50,000 tracks is a massive task. It might be quite simple if your naming of the files and folders is rather consistent.

Maybe you could install the tool and try to get a feeling of the possibilities. If there are questions, I might be able to assist you.

My comments about sintax are directed at the TagThat interface. "/ / - -" between "tags" means what? How do I use them?

tomtom

Sorry Tom tom,

it was Tagthat that I was talking about. I am trying to understand what I I need to do with Tagthat to ensure a sexy looking interface by the time I get done the list of instructions from the page I am using.

I.E. Will Tagthat allow the automatic tagging and fecthing of info from Amazon, or is that a file by file process?

I am not trying to end up with anything fancy when i get it working in MP. Just album, artist, genre, track title, album graphic and year hopefully.

Thanks

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The tagging is outside of MP so get it right and it should work in most other players as well as MP.

What sort of state is your collection in? Is everything ordered into folders?

sparky21

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2010
    Home Country
    The tagging is outside of MP so get it right and it should work in most other players as well as MP.

A big chunk is by artist then by album, by that artist. About 20,000 tracks are arranged this way. Large chunk of the rest confirm to that standard also, but i'll have to move them around a bit to get them into that "standard". Easier to do it first up however to get a more automated process in TagThat if that is the case.

So

Elton John is the master directory then his albums are named below him, etc

PS Will now be away from a keyboard for two kes. So replies will now be real slow. Some of us have to go on holiday dam it.

Cheers

Mr. V

Portal Pro
    September 15, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country

A big chunk is by artist then by album, by that artist. About 20,000 tracks are arranged this way. Large chunk of the rest confirm to that standard also, but i'll have to move them around a bit to get them into that "standard". Easier to do it first up however to get a more automated process in TagThat if that is the case.

So

Elton John is the master directory then his albums are named below him, etc

PS Will now be away from a keyboard for two kes. So replies will now be real slow. Some of us have to go on holiday dam it.

Cheers

Hi sparky,

I find tagging music is always a time consuming process.

I use this. Magic MP3 Tagger

I have tried countless number of taggers out there and most of them seem so complicated and time consuming to set up.

This is just a so simple to use, very automated. The demo only will do ten tracks at one. So unfortunatly its a paid program, cheap enough though. I would prefer use freeware but this is all i have ever found.

Just a note, for any tagging program nothing is ever perfect. The results are only as good as what information the tagging program can use to find the internet data and also the online database it uses.

I guess if you wanted a free program music brainz picard is also good, slower and a more complicated to get working just right.
    It uses the same music database as the above mentioned.

For my collection ive found about 20% of my tracks dont pick up the tags properly in these programs. Pretty good i think, so that when MPtagThat that comes into play.

I highly recommend music tagging, time consuming but worth it. And you only need to do it once. So any new music i get i always run it though the automted tagging program before adding it to my collection.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom