Almost ready to build HTPC - Input anyone? (1 Viewer)

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello all!

I have been building the specs for my HTPC for months now. I've tried my best to come up with as much information as possible from various sites. I've decided that I'd like to give MediaPortal a shot as my frontend.

Below are my HTPC specs. I'm looking for input to make sure I'm on the right track. I live in the US and I have DirecTV. I get great reception for my OTA HD channels. I do not anticipate that I will be getting another DirecTV receiver to view/record multiple channels (although with the HD capture card I can record an HD channel while viewing another channel with my DirecTV receiver). So I may not even need the Nvidia DualTV.

I'm having the toughest time in the world with cases. I like the simplicity of the Antec NSK2400 case but it is only Micro ATX. I'd like to have the expandability of a full sized ATM motherboard and case.

Here is what I am thinking in terms of connections to components, etc:

Video card DVI to HDMI port on Pioneer Plasma
    Onboard sound out to Kenwood Receiver (RCA. Sucks I know, but it still sounds good for our small livingroom)
    Coax cable out from DirecTV HD reciever to TV Capture Card
    Coax from OTA antenna to Vbox 150 for HD channels
    Hardwired into my home LAN

Am I missing something with the basic connections?

I currently have a Pioneer 810H DVD/TiVo unit. Channel changing is done througha serial cable from the DirecTV HD receiver. I'd like to use this same cable to change the channels on my new HTPC. Otherwise I'd have to get some other serial channel changing options.

HTPC Build Specs:
    Running total as of 8/8/2006: $1330 (not including cables, shipping etc)
    Green = Already own
    Bold = Recent Change

Software: MediaPortal 0.2.0.3.0
    Case: UNDECIDED (Desktop style)
    CPU: AMD Athlon 4200+ 64 X2 Dual-Core (changed from 3800+)
    DVD R/W: Pioneer DVR-111D
    Floppy Drive: NONE
    Hard Drive: 2x Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10 ST3320620AS (maybe another smaller one for the OS)
    Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800
    Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 890 MAYBE! ;)
    Keyboard: UNDECIDED
    Mouse: UNDECIDED
    Sound Card: Onboard
    Video Card: MSI GeForce 7600GS (NX7600GS-T2D256EH)
    TV Capture Card: NVIDIA DualTV MCE
    HD Capture Card: Vbox Cat's Eye DTA-150

TV: Pioneer 50" Plasma PRO-1110HD
    Satellite Box: DirecTV HTL-HD Receiver
    Remote: Sony RM-AV3000

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    There are nice full-ATX cases that look like audio decks, full with VFD screens etc. Check at google.

For keyboard/mouse I suggest Logitech DiNovo.

For VGA, look one of the newer that come ready with HDMI port. More future proof.

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    I've been looking into some of these cases:

Zalman HD160
    SilverStone LC10M

Do most end up using a keyboard/mouse setup or do most try and fully utilize remotes for the most part? RealVNC is a remote desktop option or just plugging in a USB mouse and keyboard if needed. I'll get a keyboard/mouse that is easy to use though if people think it's a necessity.

As for VGA, I'd like to get one that is passively cooled.

I know this does not have a direct HDMI port on it, but it does have an HDCP enabled DVI port:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=NX7600GT-VT2D256E_HD&class=vga

Otherwise there aren't too many cards out yet with an HDMI port on it. I'm attempting to keep this all within a $1500 budget.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The Athlon X2 range has a upgrade on the 4200 chip upwards, that for the $20-30 (UK equivalent here) difference, makes it a much more worthwhile to have long term.

Consider the LG multidrive for DVD/CD, cheap quiet (have 2) and cover every format.

Otherwise everything else top notch choice, watch record and encode all at the same time.

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes to both, and do not worry about comment on website about lack of ram drivers, last time i installed xp, ram driver already there. so not needed.
    And yes i do use Ram disks But only for archiving really important Data.
    Expensive, but the dye guaranteed to last.
    Use DVD-R for DVD's.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The NSK2400 ius a great case indeed, but did you ever see the Fusion version?
    Check Antecs HP for flash demo: http://www.antec.com/us/
    Prod. spes.: http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15738#

Since you need a full ATX you might wanna consider Silverstone, but try to stay clear of the ver. with 60mm fans.

I belive this would be a good choice: LC20M (no pers. exp. Reviewed here)
    The SilverStone LC20B-M is probably the quietest case I have ever reviewed that keeps the temperatures down. I am very impressed and this case has become my permanent HTPC system.

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    I love the NSK2400 and the Fusion by Antec, but the only downside for me is that they only take mATX motherboards. Otherwise I would be all over the Fusion.

It's coming down to the Silverstone line. I just need to decide if I want a VFD or not. I'm trying to skimp, but knowing me, I'll end up getting it so I don't have to wish I had it later (even though most of the time you can add one when one wishes).

Thanks for the tip on staying away with the ones with 60mm fans...

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    No problem.... :wink:

A couple of more hints:
    - Go for the EE versions of AMD (low wattage -> less cooling --> less noise)
    - Samsung HDDs have the ability to use AAM - Seagate dosen't have this ability (law issue), hence its more noisy

Who said it was suppose to be easy? :wink:

Summary: Drop VFD - use the money on EE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom