Alternatives to Hauppauges ridiculously delayed USB CI module (1 Viewer)

Mercbac

Portal Pro
March 20, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Eager to build a HTPC with dual tuner DVB-S2 and two subscriptions, I have been reading through everything I could find on the Hauppauge USB based "smart CI" solution. In combination with the HVR-4000 it seemed very promising, but today, the Swedish Komplett.se moved the expected first delivery date from 7 sept to 1 nov. *sucks*

So is there anyone out there that knows of alternatives? I have been considering the Technotrend S2-3200 with their CAM reader, but there are too many posts about stability issues after hibernate that scare me (or is this more a WinXP thing, and could this work better on Vista's sleep mode?). The point is, a HTPC will be used by every family member and must be reliable and hassle free. Although that seems hard to combine with a dual tuner, dual smart-card setup for DVB-S2....

Eagerly awaiting the replies from the wonderful MediaPortal community.

Mercbac

Portal Pro
March 20, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
So what about the Technotrend S2-3200 with CI; has anybody here been able to get it to work reliably with TVE3 and either 0.2.3.0 or latest SVN? And I mean especially after sleep / hibernate, because otherwise it seems to work fine (assuming the channel changing times have improved over what they reportedly used to be).

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    if you want a top quality TV-Card with a supported CI, then there is only one thing ican suggest.
    the floppy-DTV's, fire-DTV's from digital everywhere.

they are not "cheap", but rock solid quality is not cheap ;)

i suggest that you buy a floppy-dtv (the model without remote) and use it in combination with the Microsoft MCE remote. :)

Mercbac

Portal Pro
    March 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'll definitely start looking into the FloppyDTV.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Chris,
    The FloppyDTV-S2 is not listed under the supported cards in the documentation. Does that mean the documentation should be updated, or is it really not (yet) supported?
    Otherwise it seems like a great solution (in the absence of any solution that allows both smartcards / CAMs to be used by both tuners in a dual tuner system).

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The FloppyDTV-S2 is not listed under the supported cards in the documentation. Does that mean the documentation should be updated, or is it really not (yet) supported?
    it is supported in TV-Server.
    i know that because mine works just fine :)

i will update the wiki page about the TV-Cards with "special supported features" (like dvb-s2) asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom