Codecs AMD APU - which Codecs? (1 Viewer)

glenb83

Portal Pro
April 24, 2009
Home Country
Hi all,

I'm putting together my new MP box this weekend, and wanted some advice for codec choices? In the last 3 htpc boxes I have done, I have used Nvidia GPU's with CUVID decoder in LAV Filters as it seemed to be the best choice for Nvidia and never really had any problems.

This will be my first AMD build though, and in this case it is an A10-8500K CPU/GPU and I'm not sure what the best codecs are for it to take full advantage of hardware decoding, and whether any settings should be changed in the catalyst control centre too? I'm thinking either SAF or LAV with DXVA.

Anyone else got an APU like mine and had most success with anything in particular?

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I've been on AMD (prev ATi) since for .... well ... ever. No fan boy, just always seemed like the most sensible choice.

Currently I only got LAV installed, and I use LAV (DXVA native) and MS-codecs. I guess unlocked SAF might be an option, put I prefer to keep Monogram, which I believe SAF still removes (well, replaces)... (Correct me if I'm wrong, @hoborg )

This has been workignfor whatever I've thrown at it. I've been experiencing some playback issues lately, but I'm not on a "official" MP version atm, so I haven't checked further.

jhoppa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi,

I have A10-8500K and i use newest unlock SAF and everything goes fine. What I`ve done was that I lift up GPU memory to 512 mb.

glenb83

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, so basically +1 for SAF and +1 for LAV so far :p

Hi,

I have A10-8500K and i use newest unlock SAF and everything goes fine. What I`ve done was that I lift up GPU memory to 512 mb.

Is this done in the BIOS or Windows? What is the default memory for GPU? I have 8GB ram so I should be able to put it up to 512-1024 fairly confidently right?

Last edited:

jhoppa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I do it in BIOS. I have Asrock motherboard and there was maximum memory 512 mb even I have 16 mb to use.

glenb83

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2009
    Home Country
    When using LAV, should MPEG-4 under hardware accleration be unticked in the SAF Video config? I know there was an issue with it enabled in earlier builds...

Shadime

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I do it in BIOS. I have Asrock motherboard and there was maximum memory 512 mb even I have 16 mb to use.

Some Asrock boards have a maximum of 512 mb shared memory, most Asus boards go to 2048mb. It is worth checking when changing the setting in the BIOS

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom