Amex blue-ray HTPC - me want one =) (1 Viewer)

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/amex-digital-announces-bluray-htpc-173726.php

amex_htpc.jpg

-k

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
from http://www.amexdigital.com/Press_Release-E_M505BD.htm
"intel Viiv technology - Intel core duo processor"

from toms hardware:
"If you look for a dual core processor, the obvious choices will be the AMD Athlon 64 X2 and the Intel Pentium D. We only recommend the 65 nm version of the Pentium D (the 900 series), because the aged 90 nm 800 series suffers from high thermal dissipation. Clearly, the Athlon 64 X2 offers superior performance and efficiency, but we are looking for high efficiency solutions, which draws our attention to Intel's latest mobile dual core processor: the Core Duo.

Intel's Core Duo is a 65 nm part and offers optimized performance per clock cycle thanks to its reconditioned microarchitecture, while drawing no more power than its predecessor, the Pentium M. Intel specifies a maximum design power of 31 W, which is an excellent result when put in the context of its performance. The Centrino Duo launch was spoiled by a USB power drain issue, which causes battery time to decrease dramatically. Since this proved to be a software issue, it is Microsoft courting our resentment now, as the promised patch has still not arrived. Luckily, this does not affect desktop applications, nor does it change our assessment of the Core Duo processor being one of the finest we have seen to date; it would be very appealing for a low-power PC."

I also think that you are being overly negative. I will pragmatically use HD-DVD or BR if and when one "wins" and the studios offer usable functionality. If the studios cant get their heads out of their asses, I am quite shure that there will be a software or hardware fix that does the job they should have done.

Energy efficient is not as important as silence, though both are linked. There are fan-less HTPCs out there that can use even intel p4 "preshot" processors. But high thermal output is a pain, and leads to bigger, heavier, more expensive and/or noisier systems.

This sucker was nice looking though. Finally a box that looks like a Sony or Denon or whatever, not some home-made aluminium plates=)

-k

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
Moreover, if they already have worked out issues with BR/HD-DVD playback on a computer, I am quite surprised really. I thought that one needed a "secure" (Microsoft Vista) in order to guarantee encrypted dataflow from BR-drive to HDMI output. Perhaps the industry i finally getting the point?

-k

Molokoids

Portal Pro
April 22, 2004
knutinh said:
Moreover, if they already have worked out issues with BR/HD-DVD playback on a computer, I am quite surprised really. I thought that one needed a "secure" (Microsoft Vista) in order to guarantee encrypted dataflow from BR-drive to HDMI output. Perhaps the industry i finally getting the point?

I don't think HDMI/HDCP/VISTA etc.. is a problem when you're selling your über-player with a 1TB hard disk... ;)

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
Molokoids said:
knutinh said:

I don't think HDMI/HDCP/VISTA etc.. is a problem when you're selling your über-player with a 1TB hard disk... ;)
Why not? I cant see that the movie industry would be any more flexible with this box than with Joe Blows $300 PC?

-k

Molokoids

Portal Pro
April 22, 2004
I was just making fun of this "HTPC" feature... 1TB hard disk... I know Seagate just launched a 750G... (It's probably 2x 500G disks). If everything in their HTPC is like their hard disk, I understand why BR is not a issue ;)

The case footprint is nice though. I'm a little fed up with 17cm high cases.

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
Molokoids said:
I was just making fun of this "HTPC" feature... 1TB hard disk... I know Seagate just launched a 750G... (It's probably 2x 500G disks). If everything in their HTPC is like their hard disk, I understand why BR is not a issue ;)

The case footprint is nice though. I'm a little fed up with 17cm high cases.
But 17cm is there for a good reason: It means building with regular off-the-shelf components with PCI cards, large cpu coolers and regular PSUs.

This box may have to use more specialized PSU, low-profile or a low number of angled expansion cards, and a limited cpu cooler, hopefully just a heatpipe connecting it to the cooler ribs on the sides.

This box may (or may not) be a great, although expensive, htpc as it is, but upgrading it may be difficult-

regards
Knut

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    knutinh said:
    "If you look for a dual core processor, the obvious choices will be the AMD Athlon 64 X2 and the Intel Pentium D. We only recommend the 65 nm version of the Pentium D (the 900 series), because the aged 90 nm 800 series suffers from high thermal dissipation. Clearly, the Athlon 64 X2 offers superior performance and efficiency, but we are looking for high efficiency solutions, which draws our attention to Intel's latest mobile dual core processor: the Core Duo.

Slightly unsure as to what the purpose of that quote is. At full load a Intel PD 930 Presler uses ~96W while the Intel Core Duo T2600 only uses ~25W ( see http://www.silentpcreview.com/article313-page5.html ). Hell even an AMD A64 3000+ only uses 32W. The scenario doesnt look much better when running in idle. I would never use an Intel Pentium D in a HTPC. A Core Duo or an E3/E6 A64 Venice is better suited.

Energy efficient is not as important as silence, though both are linked. There are fan-less HTPCs out there that can use even intel p4 "preshot" processors. But high thermal output is a pain, and leads to bigger, heavier, more expensive and/or noisier systems.

The used wattage ends up as heat inside the case no matter how you look at it, so its certainly a good idea to reduce energy consumption. Why use more energy and have a more expensive cooling solution when you could just as easily use something better?

I also think that you are being overly negative. I will pragmatically use HD-DVD or BR if and when one "wins" and the studios offer usable functionality. If the studios cant get their heads out of their asses, I am quite shure that there will be a software or hardware fix that does the job they should have done.

I just suggest reading up on the massive amount of DRM included with the new HD media, i simply refuse to buy products from people that treat me like a criminal. DRM always ends up screwing the legimate consumer, hardware is buggy enough as it is without putting in artifical measures to stop people from using the products.

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    The used wattage ends up as heat inside the case no matter how you look at it, so its certainly a good idea to reduce energy consumption. Why use more energy and have a more expensive cooling solution when you could just as easily use something better?
    I respect your opinion. I also said that energy consumption and noise are linked, but there is no 1:1 relation. Having built a few computers my self, relying heavily on www.silentpcreview.com, I am aware of a few solutions to hot components. Everything has its pros and cons. As my country needs electric heating most of the year, energy consumption in it self is not an issue (a 300W computer means that I can turn down the heat by 300 Watts).

It also looks like this case has external ribs, so you are wrong in saying that "used wattage ends up as heat in the case no matter how you look at it". If a good, noise-less/low-noise solution exists to transport heat out of the cage, such as heatpipes or large ribs/slow large fans, then no problem by me.

I just suggest reading up on the massive amount of DRM included with the new HD media, i simply refuse to buy products from people that treat me like a criminal.
    I have, and I agree on all your points.
    DRM always ends up screwing the legimate consumer, hardware is buggy enough as it is without putting in artifical measures to stop people from using the products.

The FBI warnings and macromedia protection on DVD also bugs me, but I have ways to deal with that. With Blueray, worst case, movies will be available as ripped BR-ROM movies (with full quality, but less copyright protection), and the BR player will be fully usable.

Everyone is doing their best to make legal simple use of media as hard as possible. My point is that there is a milion nerds out there, dying to get credits for "hacking" Blueray. No copyright/usage-prevention system can withstand that :)

-k

Users who are viewing this thread