Android client for TV-Server? (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hello, I wrote down a dream I have for MP2 in the MP-II Development progress thread over here.

Now, there are some Windows 7 tablets on the way like the HP slate, but there are also alot of Android tablets "en route". And I was wondering if it is techincally possible to create an "official" Android client that can work in such a system?

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Android client for TV-Server?

I think it is better to build a web client with serveral .css profiles for each device instead of building 3 or 4 clients for alle mobile player....

If there is an official android client, why is there no official windows mobile, iphone, palm, etc client?

A scalabable web services don't have this problem - but you need a webservice which is able to transcode the stream for each supported device.

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In the plugins section there is already some great work done on a web service to do just this sort of thing..... Someone just needs to create the appropriate "front ends" for each device.... Apple iPad would be pretty cool as an MP client....

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    But will one be able to have the functionality I describe other thread (move stream to other devices and wake these up if needed) with a webapp?

And I didn't mean official like in developed by the MPteam, but one that can connect into the server just like that client-system we have today.

I know that MP2 will be "uPnP-heavy", but I don't know enough about that technology to know if this will be possible or not.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Android client for TV-Server?

It's irrelevant whether it's a web app or any other kind of app. But you need access to the MediaPortal Client on each device if such a service is abailable it should be no (big) problem to implement something like you want zicoz!

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Android client for TV-Server?

In the plugins section there is already some great work done on a web service to do just this sort of thing..... Someone just needs to create the appropriate "front ends" for each device.... Apple iPad would be pretty cool as an MP client....

Nope, the iPad is as closed / dongled / broken / whatever as it can get. An open plattform like Android where the community can even fix system components and install all kinds of custom software and libraries is much better suited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom