Announcement: AC3Filter (1 Viewer)

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Although the PureAudio plugin was originally intended for high-quality playback of stereo sound, it seems many ppl want to use it for it's (sideaffect) ability to playback DTS and AC3.

Because the way PureAudio works, DTS/AC3 support will always be limited and will require a lot of programming to extend it. That's why i want to try a different aproach.

As some of you probably already know, the AC3Filter program ads a lot of functionality to WMP.
    The plan is to create a new plugin based on WMP that can take advantage of everything you can do with WMP and AC3Filter such as:
    • Decode DTS and AC3
    • Encode to AC3
    • Support for many DTS and AC3 formats
    • Advanced S/PDIF passthrough support

I build a prototype this weekend and it looks promising. The current PureAudio plugin will of course continue to exist!

Symphy

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Have you thought about making the music player just a DirectShow player? We all have codecs for pretty much any audio format when there is a video involved, but I'm not sure why suddenly having audio only introduces so many problems with format decoding.

I have a large 5.1 section (mainly 44.1 DTSCDs but some AC3 and DTS 48khz) and I would love to be able to decode them in the soundcard for analogue output.

As always Symphy, thanks for your continued efforts, it's really appreciated here.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Have you thought about making the music player just a DirectShow player?

Yep i have. But embedding a WMP ActiveX- control seems like the easiest way though, and enables a lot of functionality already. Including all WMP visualizations and of course AC3Filter!
    Code of the old WMP player that existed in previous versions of MP can be reused.

The prototype was build in a few hours and can play all the files you mentioned.
    Building a complete new player is gonna be a lot of work before it can do what can be done now with already available buildingblocks.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for the explanation, I can see your reasoning. Love to check it out when you think it's ready for public consumption. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom