Another artist/album thumb questions (1 Viewer)

RT3

November 26, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Ok so I am very new to MP....going on a couple of hours...
My question is when I am browsing my music library in "shares" view I see the names of the artist with now thumb. once I click on the artist i see all the albums for that artist with the correct thumbs.

Does MP create an artist thumb using the thumbs from the albums?
I have correctly organized my library with folder.jpg in the album folder.

:D
untitled.jpg
[/IMG]

quake2rambo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    MP imports the pictures from amazon (i think so) and will places them in the thumbnail-folder. When you will uses your own pics, do it here C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\Music\Artists (Vista) With Windows XP it is C:\documents and settings\all users\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\Music\Artists. It is very importent to proof the artist names in your mp3-files.
    good luck

RT3

November 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for the input. but I am still a little confused.
    Do I have to tell MP to go get a thumb for the artist folder? Can it not just take one of the thumbs from the album folder inside the artist folder?

for example, in WMA if you have multiple albums of the same artist, WMA displays one of the album thumbs as the artist thumb.

I have tried right mouse clicking on the artist folder and "selecting display artist info" and nothing happens.

Thanks again for you help. I love MP, and I enjoy tweaking it to my liking....

quake2rambo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    When you play your files in MP, at first the pic of the folder.jpg will be shown. A little bit later, MP will import, if the file not exists, a pic of the artist. When you don't like the quality ore the picture itself, you can change them in the thumbs-folder. The names depends on the given/taken artists name in your mp3-files. So I think it is also possible to create artist-files they did not played yet. (sorry for my gramma ...)

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    RT3:

all of this is possible:

you need to use the mp configuration program, go to music -> database section
    there you can specify to use album art as artist thumb. Then scan your music collection into the mp database.
    please make yourself also familiar with the possibilities of database views inside mp. They make use of the mp3tags instead of the shares view (which you appear to use) and which only shows your physical folder structure.
    If you want real artist thumbs - not album as substitution make yourself familiar with last.fm and audioscrobbler. audioscrobbler has a very comfortable way to download all artist pictures it can find in a batch process.

HTH

tomtom

RT3

November 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Tom

Thanks for the insight. Have done the "album art for artist thumb" selection and scanned my music db a couple of different times.

It makes sense about the shares view.

However, I like that because it shows the artist name upon entering the music part of MP. when I change the view to say, artist, then is just lists the alphabet. And I really dislike that.

So is there a way for MP to display all of my artists by name without using the shares view?

Thanks again for the support. MP rocks and I hope to never have to use MCE again.:D

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    You can always modify the Vuiews so that the alphabet is not used.

Configuration -> Music -> Music Views

Select the artist view and press "d" in the last column of the first row, which reads "atist group 1 ....".
    Then press "Save" and "Ok".

Now you've deleted the first condition from the view, which groups entries on alphabet.

RT3

November 26, 2008
    Home Country
    hwahrmann

Thanks this worked perfect. Issued resolved!!!! Now on to the next I am going to reorganize my folders to see about the thumbs not being found by MP. I will let you know as my progress continues

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom