Another Problem with Playback Stopping (1 Viewer)

appleyk

Portal Member
November 20, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi

I had a problem a while back with playback stopping after each song, when opened from a network drive using this plugin, using ASIO4ALL which I posted here. It was resolved by moving all music to a local USB drive. I've been having some problems with ASIO4ALL since then, like it varying the volume of songs on playback. So now ASUS have finally released some drivers that solve the ASIO not working problem on my XONAR card, I have switched to using your plugin directly configured to use the cards ASIO drivers.

However, I now have the same problem, with playback stopping after each song. I have noticed that after hitting play on any song, it now takes a couple of seconds to start playing, which I'm assuming is something to do with the card taking a little while to respond, as all the music is still on a local drive, and doesnt have this delay when starting playback using anything other than ASIO. I also assume that from your previous comments, this delay is probably whats stopping the playback from continuing with the next song? I've attached a log in case that points to anything else. But if it is the delay thats causing th problem, is there any way of changing the default behaviour, so MP will wait a few more seconds for the song to start, before timing out?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kevin

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I remember that rather mysterious problem. What you have now is even more mysterious, because the log does not show any signs of delay in opening the file.
    Remarkable is there's only 0.2 seconds between MP launching track #2 and PureAudio attempting to switch to it. This should normally be 1.5 - 2 seconds... This looks like there is delay now between track #1 ending and MP picking this up.

What you can try is setting the playback buffersize to its max of 3 seconds (Plugin config - Advanced settings)

Don't have an real explanation for the delays you get though...

appleyk

Portal Member
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Symphy

Thanks for the reply, even though the delays are rather mysterious, your suggestion has solved the problem. I changed the buffersize to 3 seconds from 2, and although I can see now see MP switch to the next song just before the current one finishes, the problem has gone, and playback continues from one song to the next just fine.

Thanks again for the suggestion, and for the plugin. Although its been problematical so far, my system now sounds fantastic, and is well worth the waiting :)

Cheers

Kevin

phusg

Portal Member
    April 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ... I changed the buffersize to 3 seconds from 2, and although I can see now see MP switch to the next song just before the current one finishes, the problem has gone, and playback continues from one song to the next just fine.

Hi Symphy,

The above solved my playback stopping problem too! I can now playback DJ mix CDs with mediaportal without the annoying gaps between tracks, many thanks.

I have found one small disadvantage though, when I eject the CD whilst it is playing mediaportal (0.2.3) crashes, something that it does not do with just the BASS player active. If you could fix this whilst adding the feature whereby when the CD is ejected the buffer is emptied and the sound is faded out, that would be fantastic! If the buffer could also be made larger this would allow you to 'hot' change CDs, what do you think?

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have found one small disadvantage though, when I eject the CD whilst it is playing mediaportal (0.2.3) crashes, something that it does not do with just the BASS player active. If you could fix this whilst adding the feature whereby when the CD is ejected the buffer is emptied and the sound is faded out, that would be fantastic!
    Will look into it. It should not crash.

If the buffer could also be made larger this would allow you to 'hot' change CDs, what do you think?
    Interesting idea. Will see what is required to make that work. In that case the player should not stop as described above when ejecting. Will cost a few MB memory though.

Just saw this in the changelog:
    14/04/2008 [12:17h] rtv added: fixed slow access of shares if at least one slow or unaccessible share (e.g. mapped / external drive) is present

Could this be related to the problems you are experiencing?

Symphy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom