DarkWader

Portal Pro
October 3, 2006
Home Country
Norway Norway
Started on: 2007-02-14
last update: 2007-02-14

Summary:
I live in Norway and at the moment the weather plugin does not support many cities here.
And the current ones are the larger ones, like Oslo and Trondheim.
This is because the current source is weatherchannel.com

How about adding weatherunderground to the source?
This one has many more smaller cities in Norway, like Mo i Rana and Bod(o)ø.
And I guess other small ones aswell.

I also believe that the weatherunderground has more smaller cities in other countries.

It should be possible to add this somehow, since its allready been supported in Meedio, and the Vista sidebar weather gadget.

I am sorry if this have been adressed before, but I could not find it anywhere.

Fafnir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You are right; In deed I did ask for that some time ago, but didn't post it at the right place.

But the best weather date source is www.accuweather.com. It has nearly ALL locations in the world...

For DarkWader and maybe pmcguire it might interesting to check for your own towns/ cities/ villages. I found my home town on accuweather (by liquidweather).

I do not know how to write a plugin or how to modify one, so maybe another more skilled MP user should have.

smesser

Portal Member
    February 13, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    It doesn't appear that this service is free. I found this info on the website.

Weather Underground is proud to present Autobrand, our proprietary online weather engine. Get a custom weather page that blends perfectly with the rest of your site and gives your users all the information they need - color temperature maps, five-day forecasts, radar and more.

We can host and serve your weather page directly to your site, or zip files can be downloaded every hour. The information on your site's weather page is updated automatically, so your users get the most accurate weather possible, all day every day. We also offer the option to have your weather information appear in any of 60 different languages!

Or, if you prefer, we can set up a raw data feed or XML via http or ftp. You can take our raw current conditions, forecasts, weather advisories, sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset times, or tide data and format them any way you like for your single site application. We also have the capacity to work with you on custom projects such as weather correlation to data relating to the wholesale or retail market place.

Give your Web site a very real advantage, by offering the local weather information that all of your users need. Autobrand is the easy, affordable way to add weather to your Web site.

Feature uncomplicated local weather conditions and forecasts on your Web site for as little as $250 a month!

For Autobrand pricing and options, contact:
    Chuck Prewitt
    (415) 543-5021 x102
    San Francisco, CA
    chuck@wunderground.com
    (be sure the subject contains "Autobrand Weather 2-15-2007")

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I was thinking for that kind of money - why not just invest in your own home weather station and place it on your own computer. Granted these system won't produce weather maps like can be found on Television stations, but normally those weather maps can be grabbed for free.

I have seen weather stations from Davis, Oregon Scientific, and others which allow (sometimes for a little extra) to link the actual weather data to your home computer, then it is just a matter to produce similar data format so that MPP can read it.

DarkWader

Portal Pro
    October 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    It doesn't appear that this service is free. I found this info on the website.

Weather Underground is proud to present Autobrand, our proprietary online weather engine. Get a custom weather page that blends perfectly with the rest of your site and gives your users all the information they need - color temperature maps, five-day forecasts, radar and more.

Sorry if I am wrong here, but WU is used in plugins for Miranda to get the weather, and it does not cost a penny.
    Autobrand seems to me like customizable service that should not be needed to make it work in MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom