Tools and other software Antivirus + Firewall for HTPC (2 Viewers)

Deco

Portal Pro
August 26, 2005
Ireland
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi all,

I'm looking for an antivirus and firewall suitable for a HTPC.

My current one (McAfee Internet Security) has expired. However, whilst it worked (no viruses etc.) I use my PC just for MediaPortal.

One thing I don't like about McAfee are the pop-up's. These are fine on my work or day-to-day PC, but a nuisance for a 'stand-alone' MediaPortal system.

I've used Norton in the past on my work PC but don't think it fits the bill either.

So my criteria are:
- Relaible (obviously)
- Use low resources
- No 'nuisance' pop-up's

Suggestions anyone please?

:D Deco.

zag2me

Portal Pro
April 11, 2006
Home Country
England England
Nortan/symantec is even worse than having a virus I think :)

Personally I dont use one, as my htpc only runs media portal and I back it up regularly. Firewall, I use the XP inbuilt one, and port forwarding on my router.

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
December 31, 2005
Scotland
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
i use zone alram for my firewall and avast for my anti virus

once zone alarm has been setup correctly there are no pop ups and avast only has pop ups when it updates the database or when it finds a virus but you may be able to turn those off.

Efros

Portal Pro
January 23, 2006
Maine
Home Country
England England
I use the xp firewall in conjunction with my router firewall and bitdefender as AV, have bitdefender setup to scan and update in the middle of the night, as my HTPC is a dedicated unit this is probly overkill.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    I just use the windows firewall on mine along with symantec corp antivirus. I use that as the server and it manages all the other clients in the house.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    note:
    we have allready noticed that some firewalls can cause issues on HTPCs.

i.e. one user reported that zonealarm was causing timeshift function to fail.

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England
    I just use the windows firewall on mine along with symantec corp antivirus. I use that as the server and it manages all the other clients in the house.

I have extensivley tested symantec corporate edition at work as I use it on 500+ pc's, and I get on average about a 25% slowdown in system speed with it installed and auto protect turned on. Its a truely aweful piece of software.

Zonealarm is another one of my pet hates, its completly pointless because it does nothing more than the default XP firewall, with about 1000 more popups :) I do home network support sometimes and the amount of people I get who accidently diasabled their entire internet with zonealarm is pretty funny :)

McChots

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2006
    Johannesburg
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I use AVG antivirus and filseclab personal firewall which are both free.
    I have Norton Internet Security/Antivirus on my laptop and it is definitely a memory hog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom