any chance of a linux version of MP?? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arjay

Portal Pro
April 25, 2006
Coin, Spain
I am sure this has been asked before but can't find anything relevant in the forums.

Is there any work being done on, or any chance of it - on porting MP to linux?

I use linux for everything else and hate using win XP. MP is way better than anything else available for linux - hardly dare mention my battles with mythtv.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    As you say, this has been answered in the past and the answer is no. MP is based on both the .NET framework and directX, both of which are not available on Linux. You can try getting it to run under Mono if you like, but I highly doubt that'll work without heavy work.

What's so aweful about win XP? If you use MP on a dedicated HTPC you shouldnt even see the OS.

Inker

nabbster

Portal Member
    February 23, 2006
    There are some benifits with linux but also some restrictions over all linux would be better its much more stable with long up times thats why most servers use it along with its security. but as i am linux noob ill stick with mediaportal and windows. to the guy asking for this in linux try mythTV
    btw i love this proggy its the dogs N*ts

arjay

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Coin, Spain
    What's so aweful about win XP? If you use MP on a dedicated HTPC you shouldnt even see the OS.

First, I get one or two crashes a week on XP - especially if I amactively doing something (adding software, changing setups etc). It has crashed twice tonight during the install and modification of MP settings. One time it locked up - no explanation, another the pathethic and oh so insincere "Sorry MS has to close, sorry for the inconvenience" - pass the bucket please.

In contrast, one of my computers on which I run Mepis under linux has been CONTINUOUSLY UP FOR OVER 6 MONTHS, without any problems. I have updated programs, modified scripts and thrown just about everything at it I could, and it has never even needed a reboot.

Second - not a virus or bit of spyware in sight, unlike XP where I spend a significant amount of time and some money to protect myself from both.

Third, I have access to 11,000 completely free programs - many of which equal MS in quality and beat it hands down on stability ...

Need I say more?

RJ

Unfortunately, linux lags well behind in the MC stakes and I am MORE than happy to run MP which i think is a superb piece of work. IMHO, the same can't be said, however, for the kr*p that it runs on....

I predict that one day, MP WILL be ported to linux and it will be a significant move forward. Let's see :wink:

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Oh come on.

I am generaly anti-MS and linux supported but COME ON.

This is a software made purely for MS Win. Use it if you use MS Win, don't use it if you don't. It is simple eh?

If your Windows computer crashes twice a week, then there is something seriously wrong with your setup (and you keep building on a messed up system). On this computer where I write this post, the last time I rebooted was maybe a month ago. In between, I did have software crashes, but nothing to mess the whole system up (well I lie... since this evening, I don't have audio, so it does need a reboot). I don't reboot it too much since it takes very long to boot (too many services) plus I have all my P2P here.

MP is SUPPOSED to be on a HOME THEATER PC (HTPC). i.e. a PC where you DON'T mess around too much, you just leave it there doing what it is supposed to do.

I can leave my HTPC for 3 years without a reboot if I needed to.

Oh, come on.
    (sorry but it is just tiresome to read about how good linux is for everything ...ok I know linux since kernel 0.8, still my three home computers mainly run XP... that's life)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    from what I've seen of MythTV it has many more features than MP.
    Why couldn't you get that to work? If it was due to tv card issues then the odds are that even if MP was ported to Linux you'd have the same issue.

Win XP is a lot better than you say. My HTPC XP never crashes.
    If you have two crashes in an evening then I'd be looking for the cause.
    XP is a very stable piece of software if it's set up correctly.
    My notebook has been running for weeks without being switched off. I just hibernate it when I have to unplug and then wake it up again later.

It's pretty unlikely that MP will ever be ported to MP, as has been discussed over and over. And I am certain it won't be ported within the next few years.

Looks like your just going to have to bite the MS bullet or embrace Myth again.

Good luck with whatever you choose ;-)

xemumanic

Portal Pro
    March 19, 2006
    East Strondsburg PA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I fully agree with NLS. If you're getting crashes that often, Windows isn't to blame. Especially with XP. Hell, I ran WinME for SIX MONTHS without an issue. Its all in the user.

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Apart from repeating what everyone else is saying (XP isn't the problem, I can run it for ages without it crashing etc.) you also have to remember that there are no viruses for linux because it still doesn't have the wide usage base that windows does. Once you let the majority of total computer noobies at linux, I think you'll find that sooner or later holes will appear in linux as they poke and prod in places where they know nothing about. That said, linux does tend to have a faster turn-around time I guess, though MS is catching up I think.

About mythtv - I've got it dual-booting on my MP box, and apart from mythWeb, mythPhone, mythFlix and the server-client nature of its TV module, MP beats it. Its music module is nothing in comparison, and it has no alarm, music videos etc. plugins either. It is a bit more stable than MP though I'll admit.

Mono is gaining momentum though - Novell is using it for some of its apps, so maybe we'll see a linux-version of MP in the future, but it will be sufficiently different that it probably shouldn't be called MP anymore 8)

Sam
    p.s. I think someone should sticky a thread like this or put something in the wiki on this topic - it has come up a lot.

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    xemumanic said:
    Hell, I ran WinME for SIX MONTHS without an issue. Its all in the user.

wow... that has to go in a Guinness book or something

samuel337 said:
    I think you'll find that sooner or later holes will appear in linux as they poke and prod in places where they know nothing about.

oh there ARE holes in linux, believe me

samuel337 said:
    Its music module is nothing in comparison

well that must say something, since MP music module (at least up to 0.2) sucks hard (sorry guys, but it does)

miljbee

Portal Pro
    November 11, 2005
    Orléans, France
    Home Country
    France France
    the good old war linux vs windows ...

I don't enough know linux to provide objective arguments, but i can report some facts : my htpc in running under xp pro, it is running MP, eMule, and a few other small utilities. It is always up since i also use it as a file server.

The fact is that i cant remember the last time it crashed.

From my point of view, win xp is very stable and reliable. Sure mp used to be buggy and crashy, but now, all is fine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom