any chance of a linux version of MP?? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arjay

Portal Pro
April 25, 2006
Coin, Spain
Wow - didn't mean to provoke so much discussion....

I just feel, instinctively, that MP would run as well or better under linux. IMO it might also double the number of MP users at a stroke. There are loads of linux users out there that would never, in a month of Sundays, put anything Microsoft on their machines, but who look longingly at MP. I know - I'm one :D

The ONLY reason why I keep XP on one of my machines is because of MP - fine program that it is. MY XP is a fresh clean install and has only had Windows authorized updates. I've tried to keep it as original as possible. The fact remains that the computer has crashed a fair few times - but I am not saying it is XP at fault. It could be MP, as the crashes ocurred while setting up, modifying, or just running MP. However I also had a few crashes when trying out GBPVR. I'll have to see now that I have upgraded to 0.2.0.

BTW - the only reason I tried GBPVR (pretty good actually but not a patch on MP) was that they have a plugin specifically for Sky digibox users which makes it a breeze to get GBPVR up and running with a Sky box. MP, on the otherhand is quite a longwinded process for Sky users (unless you know different :wink: ). Now that I know what to do it is OK but just takes hours. As far as I can see I have to open tv config in MPsetup, navigate to the channels options and manually setup each one to use an external box etc. This is quite a few mouse clicks for over 100 channels. Also, I have yet to see a post from a Sky digibox user who has satisfactorily got an MCE remote to change channels on their box (though choosing a program from the epg DOES change the channel OK).

Now if someone could write a sky plugin for MP - that would be something.....

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
That was a good joke. By porting MP to linux, MP would double its users. :D :D :D

Well I would much prefer MP to be ported to Mac OS X. Maybe it would be one more reason for me to switch and feel closer to the "knight" feeling I had back in my Amiga days.

Tough luck though, it will never happen. And why should it.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
Well, the main point is (besides all the x is better than y junk) that XP is a better decision for a media centre for several reasons. The main one is driver support, which is not the fault of linux, but is a fact. Aside from that, currently mediaportal relies heavily on DirectShow filters and the like which have no equivalent in linux as far as I know. Finally, mediaportal is written in C# and makes heavy use of Microsoft libraries, etc. Any "port" thus would basically be an entire rewrite instead.

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Erh, Okias, Maybe you should look around a little bit further before reviving old treads. Currently some treads are active on the "Linux" question, so please look there. By the way, the development of open source is not a democratic process, therefore, it is quite unlikely that anyone is interested in your vote a sich, without any arguments to back it up. :)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Erh, Okias, Maybe you should look around a little bit further before reviving old treads. Currently some treads are active on the "Linux" question, so please look there. By the way, the development of open source is not a democratic process, therefore, it is quite unlikely that anyone is interested in your vote a sich, without any arguments to back it up. :)

In fact the development team has made it QUITE CLEAR. They will not support a linux conversion, if anyone wants to try and convert... go ahead, but there will be no support!

If you are a developer reading this - feel free to rty and convert.

If you are just a user reading this - please give up. Even if you can talk a linux developer into looking at the code with no support from the development team, these threads will be dead after awhile. The development team will not support any linux development.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom