That should work so far. Most of your settings should be used in the new version. You should make a copy the 0.1.3.0 folder or zip that folder. Then you don't have problems to downgrade if you wish to.
If you don't want to wait for RC2 you can also try RC1 with latest CVS. Have a look at team-mediaportal.de how to intall.
1. Backup up your TV settings if you need to in the Configuration program (Television->TV Channels then click the Backup button and save the file somewhere safe like My Documents).
2. Make a backup copy of the MediaPortal directory (should be c:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal) - i.e. just copy that whole MediaPortal directory somewhere safe.
3. Uninstall your current version (don't worry - you have it backed up)
4. Install RC1
5. Restore your Television settings in the Configuration program (Television->TV Channels then click the Restore button).
6. Install the Xmas theme (it's great).
If it all goes wrong, you can easily revert to your previous version by uninstalling RC1 completely, reinstall your previous version, then copy your backed up directory over the install, copying over all files.