Anyone able to run Steam games? (1 Viewer)

megsum

Portal Member
March 18, 2009
Hi,

I'm trying to setup My Emulators to run steam games. It works perfectly for any other game, but when I try to run a steam game MediaPortal briefly disappears and then returns again. The game loads, but MediaPortal regains focus.

I've tried setting the game shortcut to both of the following (as examples):
  • c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\limbo\limbo.exe
  • c:\program files\steam\steam.exe -applaunch 48000
Unfortunately the same problem happens. I've read that this could be because the game is launched via steam.exe and so when that passes control over to the game itself, MediaPortal thinks it has control back.

Has anyone successfully managed to get Steam games working?

Cheers,

Adam

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

i can start steamgames with emulators2. I just use the game.exe file as "rom path" inside the pcgames section i added.
    Do you got this issue with every steamgame you have? I only got Trackmania Forever and Dirt3 as steam games and both are working.

megsum

Portal Member
    March 18, 2009
    I think I have some awkward games as a lot of them pop up launchers. I'll get them all added to the plugin tomorrow hopefully and test them to see what does and doesn't work.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've noticed the same problem, you're right the launchers run, launch the game then exit - I'm not sure what to do about this.
    As a start I can make suspending MP optional for PC Games so it won't try and regain focus when the launcher exits but you might then have problems getting focus back when you do actually exit the game.

I'll have a think and see if I can come up with a proper solution.

megsum

Portal Member
    March 18, 2009
    Hi,

the Steam games I've tried all seem to have this problem, I guess because Steam is acting as a launcher. I need to finish off trying the rest but I've been buried under other things this week. I'll try and test them over the next few days though and let you know what happens.

I use Eventghost for a few functions, so I guess I could always exit the game and then just assign a button on the remote to get MP to regain focus. That's assuming you could make suspending MP optional. It would be lovely to have all my games listed in MP rather than having to quit out to the desktop to use them.

Cheers,

Adam

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've implemented a workaround in the next version although it will never be entirely watertight. You will need to specify the name of the exe that get's launched, the plugin will then try and find it after the launcher exits and continue to wait for it to exit. There is the possibility that it could wait for the wrong exe if there are multiple running matching the name - I've tried to limit this by only searching for new instances since the launcher was run but as i said, not completely watertight ;)

megsum

Portal Member
    March 18, 2009
    Sounds great. I'm looking forward to giving it a go when you release the update. Would be great to have them all available in MP (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom