Anyone else having this problem ?? Freezing when browsing shares thru "My Videos" (1 Viewer)

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Since MP 1.0.1.0, my client has been freezing up at random when browsing network shares thru "My Videos" .
    Windows does not freeze, just MP.
    When i end the MP process thru task manager, i can browse the network just fine. It's just MP having this problem....
    I am having this problem with 1.0.1.0 and 1.0.2.0 only..

So far, i :

- Re-formated to no avail
    - When the above did not work, i built a new machine to eliminate faulty hardware, also to no avail...
    - Re-formated again... Still having probs...

I am running Vista Home Premium 32bit with SP2... and yes, the problem was there with SP1 as well...

What i find strange is that my other client in the lounge room isn't having this problem... It is running the same software, same updates, same codecs etc...
    The only difference is that it uses Blue3Wide skin and the problematic client is using Blue3 skin. Yes i did change the skin but didn't help...

One more thing, i can watch Recorded TV shows just fine ( which are also recorded/stored on my dedicated server ) and i am using UNC path names...

Any ideas anyone ???

EDIT: I just changed the skin to Blue3wide again, but this time i rebooted.. Now i can browse shares again.. Could it be a skin problem ? Also, i did notice that the red " Record " icon differs between the skins... On B3W, its a grey square with "REC" written inside, whereas with B3 its just a red dot ? Is this normal ?

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi there

I also have some files on network drive, but have not experienced the problem myself.

There are however other users with same problem, but no one followed the required guidelines.

Maybe you can put that right?

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanx rekenaar... i will give it a go 2morrow by submitting some logs...

Seems like its a skin problem... using B3W all is ok...

cheers

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    I will also try and test my network shares with B3 and compare with B3W tomorrow.
    I am using XP SP3 not Vista.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    Just tested but I am not able to reproduce your problem on my gigabyte network (yours?).

My longest delay was roughly 1.5 seconds to open the network location with 420 videos in it.
    Browse around. Played a few videos. Browse around again. Open and close subfolders. Keeping down arrow pressed in the 420-object-folder, scrolling is unreadable fast.

So please post full logs, full system specs, and steps to reproduce. Maybe a dev can pick up something.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    thanx for the info rekenaar.. I tried it again this morning with B3 and B3W and having same issue with both... its totally random.

Anyway, one thing i know 100% is that if i navigate manually to network shares ( whilst MP is running in "Frozen" state ) , MP starts to respond once again and all is well from there on...
    Its almost as if MP has trouble connecting to network, but Vista can connect to network just fine..

Anyway, i will now go and start a support request and attatch logs..

Cheers. :)

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Problem solved... turns out my database for "MP TV Series" was corrupt.. Deleting the database and setting up new one fixed the problem...
    As to why it affected my ability to browse the network, i have no idea...

Cheers

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    Great news and thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom