Anyone experience with control of TV from HTPC via HDMI-CEC?

Discussion in 'other Input / Output interfaces' started by Guzzi, December 15, 2010.

1. Guzzi
    • Team MediaPortal

Guzzi Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +922 / 0
    Has anybody experience with controlling TV from HTPC via HDMI-CEC protocol?

Media Gallery « ValkyrieTech

I think, this is currently only via USB interface possible, because the graphiccarddrivers currently don't expose an API - plus it's unclear, (to me), if they have inmplemented CEC protocol in their designs...
    But anyway, assuming that such a USB connector is used, that opens the CEC protocol to the HTPC, it should be possible to use this from MP (and thus being able to control all CEC devices like TV, receiver, etc. from MePo...) - so anybody has experience?

Further links for those interested:
    USB-Box:
    RainShadow HDMI-CEC bridge/converter
    Bus-Translator:
    CEC/I2C-bus translator from NXP Semiconductors
    Library on googlecode:
    cec-arduino - Project Hosting on Google Code

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. est68

est68 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    AW: Anyone experience with control of TV from HTPC via HDMI-CEC?

Hello,

not really on topic but I have managed to control my Sharp TV via RS232 by my HTPC and have exposes some WebServices.

The TV has a RS232 interface and the command is documented in the User Guide

I think LG TVs have a similar functionality

PM me if you are interested

cheers

EST

4. Guzzi
    • Team MediaPortal

Guzzi Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +922 / 0
    AW: Anyone experience with control of TV from HTPC via HDMI-CEC?

Thanks, but doestn't help me really - I have samsung TV - and I hoped, that there might go something in the direction of standardization for CEC communication ....

Edit: ok, just found, that sammys DO have RS232 -> https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-led-tv-serial-control-help-91088/#post693690
    So yes, I am interested (sent you PM)

5. ValkyrieMT

ValkyrieMT Portal User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

I just noticed the trackback on my site. I am the author of the ValkyrieTech HDMI-CEC Monitor for Windows which makes use of the RainShadowTech bridge (links above). If ya'll have any questions or feature requests, I'd be happy to hear them. Also, if there is an interest/need in an API for MediaPortal integration, I could expose one from the application. I've considered a simple REST web service or .NET API in the past.

Good Luck,
    -Valkyrie-MT
    Developer
    ValkyrieTech

6. xavier
    • Premium Supporter

xavier MP Donator

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Home Country:
    Italy Italy
    Show System Specs
    Hi ValkyrieMT,

two questions for you:

1) the worst performance of the classic ir-blaster is the change in the volume of television (still too slow).

I have not seen in your site, even in the demo video, information on the speed of RainShadowTech bridge to adjust the TV volume (not the HTPC or the Amplifier volume).

What experiences have you had in this?

2) currently I use EventGhost to control MediaPortal (I find it much mooore powerful than IRSS).

To control the bridge from EG for MP I think you need to write a plugin that works on a... "virtual" serial port, starting adapting existing EG plugins for audio amplifiers (such as this or this).

Think you have plans to write one in the future ? I might buy a bridge and writing, but I could only do beta tester :) according to your intentions.

Regards,
    xavier.

7. Wozza

Wozza Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Afghanistan Afghanistan

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!