Operating System Anyone running MePo on an nLited XP / TinyXP? (1 Viewer)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I was thinking about reinstalling Windows (running XP MCE 2005 RC3 now) as it's a very old installation and things aren't really as speedy as they could be.

I tried (only a test) the Win7 route on my HPTC but things were slow and I had codec as well as driver issues so I'd rather use a lite install of Windows XP (no MCE as that's interfering with MePo I've noticed). So, is TinyXP for example a good alternative/fully compatible with MediaPortal 1.1? I have a spare XP Pro license I can use.

Emph

BennieBoy

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2005
    Maastricht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

I have an nlites XP and it works like a charm.
    It boots in a Jiffy especialy when you consider it boots from a very slow Compact Flash Card .......
    45 seconds between Power on and operational MP.

Here is the prove
    (This is an old MP, but booting is still as fast)

The hardware is quite slow (Athlon 64 - 3000 (running on 1.8 Ghz)).
    But I just installed an El Cheapo ATI 4650 and it's running Full HD without any real problems (1080i seems to give some hickups sometimes).

MP is just fast and responsive, so I do not see a reason to change hardware at the moment.

Greetz,
    Ben

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi,It boots in a Jiffy especialy when you consider it boots from a very slow Compact Flash Card ......

So, do you use Virtual Memory at all (CF cards has lower tolerance than HDD's for constant reading/writing, no?) or what?

Emph

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi BennieBoy,

I also have used nlite with xp for older systems and managed to give it a very small footprint but for MP, I was a bit reluctant because of not knowing what could be removed without affecting system functionality.

In your guide, I didn't find any details about the components that you have removed - if any - or did you stick to what you have described?

BennieBoy

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2005
    Maastricht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think I removed almost everything I could think of ;-)
    Everything that sounded like "NOT NEEDED" was removed or disabled.

And till now I never encountered a problem with it.
    The system is rock stable

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom