Aopen MP45-DR / Codec / CPU Fan Noise (1 Viewer)

aXeR

Portal Member
February 26, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got an Aopen MP45-DR of the following spec:

P8600 CPU / 4GB RAM / 120GB SATA HDD / Windows Vista / Media Portal 1.0 / MPC Codec

I have this hooked up to my Sony HTS-S1300 amp via HDMI (using the splitter) which is giving me 1080p video and 5.1 surround sound through the 1x HDMI cable although getting all the video formats to support Dolby Digital took a lot of faffing and resulted in me enabling post processing for AVI to work in 5.1.

I'm very happy with the way everything is working now with one exception and thats the processor. Whilst watching a MKV rip of the newest X Files movie last night there was 2-3 occasions when the screen froze for a second and about3 instances where the CPU fan could be heard noticeably.

At the end of the movie I minimised Media Portal and opened up a tool called CoreTemp which shows CPU temp vs usage and restarted the movie. The result was that at times during some 1080p that were intensive, I would witness one core getting high usage which would drive temps up and sometime speed the cooling fan up.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to combat the issue e.g I read that the MP45-DR can handle bluray etc via hardware and not software so surely CPU load shouldn't be this high and furthermore, will upgrading to a T9800 alleviate my problem as the CPU is more powerful (but does consume more power!)

If anyone could shed some light that would be great :)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'd use something like GraphStudio ('connect to remote graph') to check the filter graph when playing the files in MP i.e. is it using the codecs you expect, and is the MPC-HC video codec actually using DXVA ?

(You might also need 'proppage.dll' installed/registered to allow GraphStudio to work properly under Vista).

Some H.264 files can't be hardware decoded because they use encoding features not supported by current hardware. The MPC-HC decode filter will fall back to software-only decoding if it can't use DXVA hardware acceleration for any reason.

Make sure you don't have any video post-processing filters between the decode filter and the video renderer - this will break DXVA.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom