Architecture question (1 Viewer)

chris33f

Portal Pro
September 22, 2007
Home Country
France France
Hi,
I have an architecture question.
Today I have 2 PCs one as a NAS (WS2008R2) and another as a Mediaportal (server+client) (Windows7)
Media files are on the NAS. I also have other data on this NAS.
Both are on a gigabit network.
I am wondering which solution is the most performant :
- NAS with data on it and Mediaportal (server + client) accessing media files on a shared folder of the NAS
This is my solution today
- NAS with mediaportal server for streaming (keep folder shares for other files) + mediaportal client
In this case, I would need to have the MP client run without the server (stand alone) for recording TV, and playing back recorded TV programs. Would it be possible ?
Thanks

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I have tried both configurations, and I think (although I have no formal data to prove this) that running the TV server + shared drives on one PC, and a dedicated client on another is the best performing option.

The client will run really quickly if it is the only thing installed and by keeping all additional PCI cards out of that box the airflow will be better, less energy will be used and less heat will be produced, thus allowing the system to run quieter (which is an added benefit to the performance improvements).

I have my server set up in the dining room with 3 TV cards in it along with 2 TB storage shared across the network (installed on XP SP3). I also have the MP client software installed on this PC and the soundcard connected to an amplifier so that I can play music in the dining room using it (but clearly this isn't required on your system).

I then have a client in the lounge which only runs MP client software on Win 7 (as of last night :D).

The access to the shares on my GB network is quick and if I were to select to watch the same channel at the same time on both the server and the client, the the client would show the video about 1 second earler than the server (this is partially becuase the client has less to process, but also because is is a "slightly" better system - server=Intel E7400 / client=AMD XII 265)

I hope this helps.

Robbo100

chris33f

Portal Pro
    September 22, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    thank you for your feedback.
    In my case I would like to have the tuner on the client, and the server is only for "static" storage (not used for recording TV).
    So the client would record tv from its own tuner on its disk, while the server is off.
    Can I do this ?

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Yes you can, but you asked which was better and the answer was:

Have a media server and client on one PC (assuming you have a suitable Operating System to run MP) and the client on the other.

chris33f

Portal Pro
    September 22, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    yes sorry, I wanted also to have the client to be able to record/playback TV as a standalone system : this means both roles on the same machine (TVserver+MP), and this machine cannot be my NAS itself.

I don't want my NAS to record TV, but just be a file server with streaming feature if possible.

So my current solution NAS (1st machine) + TVServer&MP (2nd machine) is correct with these considerations.

Since my NAS runs WS2008R2, is there a way (application, plugin...) to stream media files from it to my MP machine with both roles (tvserver and MP) ?

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Since my NAS runs WS2008R2, is there a way (application, plugin...) to stream media files from it to my MP machine with both roles (tvserver and MP) ?

I am very confused.

Surely, if you have a PC setup as a NAS with all your music/movies etc on it, you don't need to "stream" them, you can just tell the MP client software to look for media on the NAS network location - is that not the whole point of a NAS?

For example, if you have a NAS on 192.168.1.5 and a drive on that NAS called "Music", under the MP Configuration you can set the music folder to "\\192.168.1.5\Music" (without the "s). Then whenever you run MP it will look on the NAS for your music. If half of your music is on the NAS and half on the Mediaportal PC (single-seat setup) then you add both paths to the folder list in MP config.

Depending upon your power-saving options on the NAS, you will be able to use a WOL Plugin within MP to allow you to wake-up the NAS from sleep (your NAS software will need to make sure it doesn't sleep while you are accessing data from MP).

chris33f

Portal Pro
    September 22, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Exactly what I do currently.
    I just thought there could exist an application to stream more efficiently from a windows NAS to MP with a dedicated protocol rather than just having a SMB share which is not the most peformance efficient.
    Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom