Are these good specs?

Discussion in 'General' started by hermy65, April 14, 2007.

1. hermy65

hermy65 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello, im planning on building my first HTPC. These are the specs I have, can anyone tell me if they are going to be good or if i need to change something or if you recommend something better.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    RAM: 1 GB Ballistix PC-3200
    MoBo: Biostar NF325-A7
    HD: Seagate 250GB SATA
    Capture Card: Hauppauge PVR500
    Video Card: ??? (Suggestions Please)
    Sound Card: ??? (Suggestions Please)

I dont have a Hi-Def tv at the moment, only have a 32 inch Tube tv. So im looking to for a video card that will work good on that tv.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dm15644

dm15644 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks ok so far. When you decide for the video card make sure that it is a DX9 card. Then it can be low level.

I'm using a Sapphire Radeon 9550 without any issues.

Good luck,

jayrock

4. hermy65

hermy65 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is a sound card something you guys think i need or just use the onboard....if so what do you recommend

5. daveyboy

daveyboy Portal Member

Software Developer
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was using the onboard sound for a long time, but when MediaPortal 0.2.2.0 was released, the SPDIF output no longer worked. Older versions were fine still.

In the end I got a cheap sound card with SPDIF output, and that's working fine. Of course, YMMV.

As for Graphics, I have a Radeon 9550 as well, which I thought would do me fine. Just started to play some HD content, and the system is stuttering on some higher bitrate stuff. Maybe I need some more RAM (tried that once, PC wouldn't POST), maybe a faster processor (Socket A? Not much around any more), but perhaps the 9550 is not up to the job either.

Still, should be fine for non-HD content. Actually, to be fair, it's just one 720p file I have trouble with at the moment. But 1080p is a no-no. Might be worth a certain amount of future-proofing? Something like a 7600GS would play HD stuff as well.

6. GadgetMan

GadgetMan Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Hi there hermy.

I've just recently finished my first HTPC, and just putting some finer touches (specs below)
    Windows Version: Windows XP Professional SP2
    CPU Type: AMD AM2 Dual Core 4600+
    HDD: Western Digital 160gb SATAII, Seagate Barracuda 80gb 7200rpm IDE
    Memory: 1gb DDRII 667 Kingston
    Motherboard: GA-M55plus-S3G (GB)
    Motherboard Chipset: NVS 210s/nForce 430
    Video Card: POV nVidia 7600GS
    Power Supply: Usicase 400w super silent PSU
    Remote: MCE Remote
    TV: TEAC EU-3280S 76cm widescreen
    TV - HTPC Connection: TVOUT to RCA

My trial HTPC (an old PC) wasn't quite fast enough, but forked out for a new 5200 AGP card.

My new HTPC I got a Point Of View 7600GS, which so far so good. HD plays fine with my AMD Dual Core 4600+ (probably comparable to your single processor 3200+).
    Timeshifting is jerky (when on) at times, but when catching up it seems ok.

My motherboard has onboard sound, but I want optical output to my amp to make the most of 6+ channel sound. I'm waiting for my delivery.
    Hopefully will work ok.

The picture (just the desktop of XP) is very blurry on my 32" widescreen crt TV. I was hoping it would get better, but only marginally after updated drivers. Playback of TV and DVD is a little blurry/choppy also but I put this down to finding the right codec for me.

7. petzlux

petzlux Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have a Athlon 64 3500 EE, 1 gb of ram which sits in a Asus Pundit . The onboard graphics (Nvidia 6150) is fine with any HD content (720 and 1080), i am using the nvidia purevideo decoder though which seems to offload an awful lot of processing to the graphics card.

8. Spragleknas
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Spragleknas Administrator

Occupied
    Ratings:
    +1,892 / 12
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Show System Specs
    My recommendation:

Processor: AMD X2, ADO-series (65W)
    RAM: 1 GB DDR2 (667/800MHz)
    MoBo: AMD 690G-based
    HD: (Seagate 250GB SATA) - OK
    Capture Card: (Hauppauge PVR500) - OK - do you need dual?
    Video Card: Integrated X1250 (= X700)!
    Sound Card: Integrated Realtek HD (880/882/883/888)

Cheap, and you con build on it in the future, if needed.

9. tangmonster

tangmonster Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    South Africa South Africa
    It's a waste to buy a expensive screencard for beter video playback. A more expensive screencard will make menu eyecandy be faster but video playback is all about cpu , memory , codec's and VERY little graphics card.

Video has got nothing to do with vertex shaders and pixel pipelines and all that 3d graphic stuff.

I have a 2.4Ghz socket 462 celeron with 512mb ram and a barely dx9 capable fx5200.

All compression movies plays fine, dvd's gave jumping problems until I got nvidia pureview codec.

If your browsing is too slow search on the forums on how to create a ramdisk and save database files on there for lightning fast browsing.

If your GUI is slow , use a lower GPU intensive skin like blackmyst.

graphics card = nvidia anything fx5200 and up (mx440 is not dx 9 capable)
    ati anything above 9250 although i once had it installed on a system with that card and it seemed to be ok with blackmyst skin.

an ATI 9550 screen card is a underclocked 9600 gpu.

9550 = cpu 250mhz
    ram 200mhz

with a simple extra very small fan you can safely put the cpu up to 400 to 450 mhz

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!