Aspect ratios

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1 Talk' started by Alconja, July 23, 2006.

1. Alconja

Alconja Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all,

So I'm running MP on a 4:3 TV and had some aspect ratio questions. The problem is that the DVB-T signal for some programs on some stations is transmitted in strange aspect ratios (this is for Australian digital - not sure if its the same else where). Basically it seems that some stations are transmitted in full widescreen (2.39:1), but some shows are only recorded in 16:9 widescreen (1.78:1) or even 14:9 (1.55:1). So basically you end up with a situation where the stations are actually transmitting vertical black bars at the left & right.

I've made a diagram to show you what I mean... The red box is the actual transmition in 2.39:1, and the tv program is the grey circles in the blue 1.78:1 box (the green box is 1.55:1). The yellow box is the actual viewing area.

So basically the problem is that pan & scan chops too much off at the sides, zoom, stretch, normal & original all just fit the full transmitted width & stretch it vertically, therefore leaving you with both a stretched image (which i hate) and vertical black bars at the left & right. Letterbox looks good if the show is using the full width of the transmition, but if you have one of these shows in 16:9 or 14:9 then you end up with a black border all the way around.

[​IMG]

Ideally there'd be a zoom mode (or two) that result in the last two versions in my diagram, where you partially zoom whilst maintaining the aspect ratio of the source. so that you can fit the 16/14:9 image in the 4:3 viewing area with a little bit of cropping (in these cases just black bars anyway) and a little bit of letterboxing.

I'm guessing the problem is that most people run 16:9 displays (& no its not really an option to just go buy a new tv :p) and therefore most the aspect ratio stretches are used there (I'm assuming zoom, stretch, normal and original actually do something different when running 16:9).

I was hoping that the new 14:9 ratio that's been added in 0.2.0.2 would help, but it still squashes the source image into a 4:3 shape (i.e. everything is vertically stretched) & then just zooms in a bit on that.

Sorry for the long read, thanks for anyone who made it all the way through & have some solutions/ideas for me (maybe i'll just need to get my hands dirty in the C#). :)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Javelin
    • Premium Supporter

Javelin MP Donator

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    I am using Cyberlink Decoders from Power DVD 6. If you have these decoders installed you can select them in the setting section. They seem to be able to display/correct all aspect ratios for Aus.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!