ASUS A8n-e PCI Exp video card recommendations? (1 Viewer)

kampswas

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
I have an asus a8n-e motherboard with pci-express available I am wondering what people have done in this case in regards to CABLE hdtv. ANyone have any recommendation in regards to a card that would work for me?

tkortell

Portal Pro
April 13, 2005
Vaasa / Sulva
Home Country
Finland Finland
You need to give a bit more info for us to help you. What are you using you computer for? Games? Movies? Only surfing the web? What will the GFX card be connected to? TV? LCD screen? Projector? What connections do you have on your "monitor"?

Regards / Tomas

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    And why do you highlight the fact thats its 'CABLE' when you are asking about a video card? Btw, are we talking cable as in digital cable tv in europe(DVB-C) or something similar in the US?

kampswas

Portal Member
    August 26, 2006
    FOllow Up information on the Card

I will be using an LCD screen for it, It will be used as a media center PC - it has PCI-express graphics card so I figured I would hook up the computer to that. I do not play high end pc games only emulator games MAME, SNES etc. and will be using this pc as the front end. I will be surfing the web on it and watching Movies dvd AND avi from the harddrive. I state Cable since We in the US have TIME WARNER cable which is a cable modem and serves our tv's. Thank you for your patience sorry i wasn't clearer earlier, lesson learned.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I still dont see what the cable modem has to do with the choice of video card, but i would normally give the following recommandations:

If you are serious about HD playback i would get a 7600GT. If you are connection to an LCD TV with a HDMI input, there are a few version out there with HDMI output.

If you dont need all the fancy HD playback features(like inverse telecine and some of the advanced deinterlacing techniques) get a passively cooled 7600GS with HDMI output(again HDMI only if you screen has it). If gaming is unimportant you can go with a 7300 instead.

Im still curious about this time warner cable, are you planning to watch it in MediaPortal and need to be able to input the signal to the computer? In that case you would probably want something like the Hauppage 150MCE and use its S-Video input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom