At wits end trying to get DVI out to TV. (1 Viewer)

famewolf

Portal Pro
June 7, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have 3 video cards I have tried with my vosto 220.....For both an ATI HD 2600 XT (dual dvi out) and an ASUS EAH3450(dvi and hdmi out) when you turn the pc on (I have the mini tower) the tv gets no signal from the dvi (or the hdmi port in the case of the eah3450). VGA works fine to a monitor. The tv is a JVC HD52Z575. I have an E-GeForce 7200GS that DOES send a DVI signal to the pc at bootup time but the edges of the screen are "off screen"..for instance if it was saying "CDROM Booting" on the screen I'd see "ROM Booting"....and when you get into windows and up the resolution the problem gets worse. (hard to use windows when you can't see the start bar cause it's off screen)...I'm currently using the svideo out on the 2600 XT @ 1024x768. I've checked the tv for any settings that might help. Any ideas?

famewolf

Portal Pro
June 7, 2009
Home Country
Hi!
Try starting w/low res. and refresh rate. See: Advanced startup options (including safe mode) - Windows Vista Help
Then alter it to correct res. in CCC.

Hope that helps :)

Btw, thread moved...

Even at 640x480 and 29hz or 30hz (the only two the tv supports) on the one card actually driving the dvi port parts of the screen are missing...this is apparent from the bootup display before it even gets to vista...I'm referring to the post display where it shows the vosto bios...press f2 to get to setup etc....on the other two cards nothing is displayed at all....I was using a dvi to hdmi adapter cable since the cards all have dvi and the tv has hdmi...on the asus card it has both dvi and hdmi out and I tried a direct hdmi to hdmi cable.

Thanks for moving the thread..I figured since the problem is occuring outside windows it was "off topic"

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Loosing the edges of the display is due to 'overscan' - this is standard on TV's (but it can be disabled on some of them). Both nvidia and ATi control panels have settings to compensate for this provided they think it's a TV which is connected.

When you have a display via DVI/HDMI (i.e. nVidia), run Moninfo - EnTech Taiwan | Utilities | Monitor Asset Manager - and check the reported display sizes etc (or save the report to a file and attach it here).

It sounds like the ATi card bios is not detecting the TV via DVI at boot time, and hence defaulting (probably) to VGA output.

Tony

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    The manual states that
    Note: The Digital-In is not compatible with picture signals of a personal computer

If this is true or not, I don't know, but I would guess that the signals you must send it must be 480p (720x480), 720p (1280x720) or 1080i (1920x1080). Any PC-resolution like VGA or SVGA will probably not work.

famewolf

Portal Pro
    June 7, 2009
    Home Country
    I'm thinking the tv is the culprit which really SUCKS....the nvidea card works by default when booting up and then in windows if i'm using the WINDOWS driver....if I install the nvidea driver it turns off the dvi port just like the rest....the system always says I have a "Generic P2P Monitor" when I look at what it thinks it attached when on DVI...I was able to go all the way up to the 1920 resolution but of course more and more got cut off...the only way I think I'd be able to get it to work is to get the WINDOWS nvidea driver to disable overscan or find something to adjust the display. For the ATI cards and the full nvidea driver the dvi out ports are non functional. I'll see if I can find a period of non recording time where I can swap out the video cards and run moninfo but not very optimistic at this point...and the digital signal looked so much better than the 1024x768 svideo out.

Any way to force dvi out even if a monitor isn't detected?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'd agree - the main problem is probably the HDMI implementation in the TV.

You may have more luck running analog component to it (Y, Pr, Pb) - quality wise, this is next best option but you may have to buy an adaptor cable for the video card.

Tony

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I would agree that it is probably the TV.

I have the same problem with my Samsung TV, it is 'HD ready' and accepts HD resolution(s) only on the HDMI input, not the screen's native resolution of 1366x786. Hence there is no point in using the HDMI input, I'm back on VGA and have no problem with the picture quality.

VdR

famewolf

Portal Pro
    June 7, 2009
    Home Country
    I would agree that it is probably the TV.

I have the same problem with my Samsung TV, it is 'HD ready' and accepts HD resolution(s) only on the HDMI input, not the screen's native resolution of 1366x786. Hence there is no point in using the HDMI input, I'm back on VGA and have no problem with the picture quality.

VdR

Thanks for the reply...unfortunately my tv doesn't have a vga in connector..just component, svideo and composite along with the one hdmi port. Would running it through a stereo receiver that have hdmi in and hdmi out help? Some mention something about converting the signal and my old receiver might be due for an upgrade....failing that whats the best connection I can hope for from my existing tv and the pc which has svideo, vga and dvi out? Someone mentioned component but I looked at "dvi to component" and half claim they don't work...I looked at svideo to component but I'm already using the svideo out so not sure what I would gain.

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    What is the native resolution of the TV?

Did you try to use the DVI to HDMI connection with HD resolutions (720 or 1080)?

VdR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom