3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: SAF 5 (Unlocked)
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: SAF 5 (Unlocked)
    h.264 Video Codec: MS DTV (Due to BBC HD VBR issue)
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 28.2E
    HTPC Case: Antec
    Cooling: Scythe Ninja Mini (passive), Nocturna case
    Power Supply: Antec
    Remote: Harmony 525
    TV: Samsung LE37B650
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI to TV, Optical to Sony AV

Hi guys,

I have noticed (maybe me being more vigilant - so its no worse) but I feel picture quality is worse than it used to be on my HTPC. :(

When watching TV or video I occassionally see artifacts around objects that have moved.

I am running the lastest SAF (tried both PDVD and MSDTV for Live TV, and ffdshow for video) and ATI 10.11 (with a HD5450)

I upgraded SAF and ATI at a similar time.

My ATI config is correct (VA enabled), tried it with edge enabled/disabled, denoise enabled/disabled, smooth playback enabled/disabled.

Has anyone else noticed any quality issues recently? :(

Thanks,

J. :D

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Have you tried to use something other then VA? 5450 is not the strongest of GPUs and it might not be able to handle VA.

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think I may have seen something similar. I also have a 5450. Most of the time it seems to be fine but every now and again I see an example of really bad de-interlacing. Usually in a small area of the screen. I check the ATI settings and they are set to VA. Maybe it is just some types of content that is triggering the problem... I have pretty much all of the video smoothing etc. effects turned off in ccc... Think I'm using 10.10 not 10.11.

On a sort of related note. Do you ever see a lighter strip down the right hand side of the screen? About 15% of the width. I think it is the Windows 7 gadget bar. I have my PC running all of the time, and for about 15 minutes after I turn on my TV I get this strip visible on the right of the display. Then it goes away. I notice that there are bug reports of the Windows gadget bar "bleeding thru" on the previous versions of the ATI drivers, so that bug may be back...

Andy

DiePlage

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, I have noticed simmilar issues since upgrading Catalyst drivers. However it took me some time to notice and I have change a lot in the meantime including my graphics card. I spent the last two days trying to figure it out.

Sometimes the video looks incredibly noisy as if some edge-enhancing algorithm was running wild. Faces look like made from wax and the whole picture has much too much contrast. I would really say it's some wrong settings in CCCs video-enhancing section but it still happens even if I disable all the features.

Tomorrow I will check whether MP really uses pdvd10 (saf5). maybe it's just a wrong codec usage...

Cheers!

Edit: Damn, another thing I changed at the same time was to upgrade SAF4 to SAF5. I installed this version: saf500svn_LAVF_test.exe
    However, I already tried reverting to SAF4 final, it did not make a difference

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi

I dont believe the issue is with the power of the 5450, as it seemed better before.

I think the issue is with the ati 10.11 drivers.

Like the comments above, most the time quality is ok. I might try and reinstall 10.11 or downgrade :(

Thanks

J. :D

4irm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: ATI 10.11 Deinterlacing

+1

same observations here. In addition, if you set VA in CCC it will be automatically set to bob or whatever after a while...

GeYe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 17, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: ATI 10.11 Deinterlacing

I also have found out, that VA is setting back to bob after while. Also don't know why? Thought it comes form connection via Remote Desktop.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I believe if you have 'enable smooth playback' ticked, this will change the deinterlacing mode as it needs to, to ensure smooth playback. It's logic ati put in to allow their lower end cards to maintain smooth playback under situations where it wouldn't normally cope with the settings you have chosen.

But even with this off (and everything else off) I still have artifacts/blocks around things at times.

I have noticed some people have mosquito and deblock options in CCC, does anyone with a 5450 have these?

Cheers

J.

nikos1671

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    guys i own an sapphire 5450 with latest 10.11 cc but i dont have VA option to enable. i have 4 options Weave, Bob, Adaptive, Motion Adaptive i buy this cards as a lot people here mentions that can handle VA perfect.i also notice that the deinterlacing sometimes its not working i can see it on letters that moving on some advertismens when watching live tv.
    can other people with 5450 and 10.11 confirm what options you have on deinterlacing??
    from my test i start to installing older versions ccc and 10.6 is the last version that have the VA that i can enable.why this??? ati with newer versions pushing people to buy newer cards this is shit...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom