AtmoWin showing wrong color on some LED´s (1 Viewer)

Freak*96

Portal Pro
January 24, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello,

after a long time reading a lot of threads about Ambilight Systems here and in the german forum, i tried it for myself.

My seup is:
- SEDUv3 Board
- 220 WS2812b LEDs
- for Power i use the PC Power Supply 5V

I think the LED work so far, i only have to switch the color order in SEDUv3 from RGB to GRB.
In Ambibox its not perfect but it works.

In Atmowin i find no way that all LEDs show the right colors. If i use the option static color (red), some LEDs are red and the other are green. I already tried to change some parameters under color adjustment but i have no luck.

Hope some of you can help me with that.

Thought SEDUv3 is the best Board for my Setup, because it workd out of the box...

Attachments

• IMAG1923.jpg
    IMAG1923.jpg
    740.6 KB
  • IMAG1924.jpg
    IMAG1924.jpg
    859.5 KB

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Strange that AmbiBox works and AtmoWin does not.

Not really having an idea to be honest. Just going to name some thing that come to mind.

I assume it also works with the effect SEDU has onboard for testing?

Where in the picture does the strip start? And in which direction is is going?

What about baudrate? AtmoWin vs. AmbiBox. Are they both using the same?

Im pretty posivite this is a software problem, as it seems to work with AmbiBox. Still, lets cover all the bases.
    Did you reconnect power every so often? With 220 LEDs i guess you would have to add power at 5 points?

As far as i know AtmoWin should support up to 256 LEDs, but im not 100% on that. Maybe @azzuro could clarify?

In general you could use AmbiBox if you want to. Looks like you have Win8 and AmbiBox on Win8 wont effect video playback. However you cant control it via MediaPortal then. We have a prototype of the AtmoLight plugin that works with AmbiBox, however there is still a bug in AmbiBox that crashes it. And until that isnt fixed we cant support it. And the last few times i checked ambibox.ru, it was offline :confused:.

Edit:
    About power supply. You wrote you use PC power supply. Do you mean you use the same as you pc, or an extra one dedicated for the ambilight?

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    As far as i know AtmoWin should support up to 256 LEDs, but im not 100% on that. Maybe @azzuro could clarify?
    Yes, true, Atmowin is hardcoded for support only 256channel.

if you want support more, you must change this one : " #define CAP_MAX_NUM_ZONES 256 "
    https://github.com/ambilight-4-mediaportal/AtmoWin/blob/master/AtmoDefs.h#L82
    you can set an higher number, but i don't know. how is managed on Arduino board ...

on Atmowin side, the "unsigned char " or " char" limit to 256 value. it should be replaced by "unsigned int" or "int", but i can't help for this ...
    https://github.com/ambilight-4-medi...20d209ae42805dc5b/AtmoDuinoV2Connection.h#L24

i have tried to change it to 300. Atmowin work on dummy window.

Freak*96

Portal Pro
    January 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the quick replies...

Did not test it with SEDU only yet. Does SEDUv3 support some effects onboard. Tought this is only possible with an microsd card. Cant find mine, but will try it if i have found it.

The strip starts in the left uper side an goes clockwise, thought this is the standard position and direction in Atmowin. (Thats by the way very annoying in Ambibox, because you have to replace every single zone. In ambibox the LEDs starts in lower left side)

I use the the PC Power Supply (the same as my PC), like legnod in his german thread. This works perfect. I connect power at two points on the LEDs, every 2 Meter.
    One point at the beginning (upper left) and one point in the middle (lower right).

Doesnt change Baudrate yet, found this only for the older SEDU Boards and doesnt see any jumper on the board. But will have a look at this again when im back from work.

And the AtmoWin support of 256 channel does fit my needings, i "just" use 220 channels, or am i wrong. one channel for each LED.

Would like to use Atmowin with Atmolight, think this is the better option for mediaportal.

Already read about the planed support of ambibox, and a bug in the current version. but seems that ambibox is down at the moment, so i have no hope for a new version.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Would like to use Atmowin with Atmolight, think this is the better option for mediaportal.
    i'm agree with this,
    Hyperion is also very good alternativ, have lot of feature compared to Atmowin.
    + Is Standalone ( can work with MediaPortal, and led can be used by Android App )
    + no USB connection issue "out of box" ( but AtmoWakeHelper solve this issue on Atmowin ( on Win7 & 8 - 8.1 should be gone) )
    + can be deported than HTPC.
    + Work on XBMC frontend too.

- limitation of Ambilight setting compared to Atmowin ( this is my point of view )
    - more cheaper. than Arduino board only. ( and if you want others leds than WS2801, you must connect Arduino to his USB )

Yes : 1 channel = 1 RGB led

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    + no USB connection issue "out of box" ( but AtmoWakeHelper solve this issue on Atmowin )
    The USB connection issues are gone for me also for @Rick164 on Windows 8.1, and i don't use AtmoWakeHelper anymore.
    Seems these problems were only related to Windows 8.

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did not test it with SEDU only yet. Does SEDUv3 support some effects onboard. Tought this is only possible with an microsd card. Cant find mine, but will try it if i have found it.
    Im not sure for v3. But my v2 has some effects on board that you can enable via some serial commands.

The strip starts in the left uper side an goes clockwise, thought this is the standard position and direction in Atmowin. (Thats by the way very annoying in Ambibox, because you have to replace every single zone. In ambibox the LEDs starts in lower left side)
    Yeah that is the standard for atmowin. And i had the same problem with ambibox when i tried that :p.
    So what we see in the picture is actually the first 120 or so leds beeing green and then the rest beeing red?
    Instead first red and then green?

I use the the PC Power Supply (the same as my PC), like legnod in his german thread. This works perfect. I connect power at two points on the LEDs, every 2 Meter.
    One point at the beginning (upper left) and one point in the middle (lower right).
    Every 2 meters should still be ok i think.
    Not sure if this has something to do with this problem but in general you might want to check your power supply to make sure it actually can handle 13,2A at 5V. Keep in mind that you pc also needs power. You can see the values on the sticker of the power supply. Maybe you have already done that. But better to mention it, then not to mention it ;).

Doesnt change Baudrate yet, found this only for the older SEDU Boards and doesnt see any jumper on the board. But will have a look at this again when im back from work.
    I actually didnt mean changing the baudrate, but checking which baudrate atmowin is using and which one ambibox is using. Possible that they are both using different ones and that the ambibox one is the right one and you just need to change to that in atmowin.

Freak*96

Portal Pro
    January 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello...

So i htink i tested almost everything now to get AtmoWin work properly. I connected power now at three points, reinstalled SEDU v3 driver, reflashed SEDU Firmware, test all connection (data and power), use a diffrent USB Port and so on...
    I also change the Baudrate in Windows device managment, no luck.

AmbiBox and also Jinx! work without any problem but no chance for AtmoWin.

If i selected RGB in the SEDU Setup (instead of GRB for my LEDs), it will give me only one color for all LEDs in Atmowin static color options, instead of two color if i select GRB... so far so good.
    But when i change the color adjustment in option it has no effect in but in live view.

Here are some picture that hopfully explain my problem ...

IMAG1933.jpg IMAG1927.jpg IMAG1928.jpg IMAG1929.jpg IMAG1930.jpg IMAG1931.jpg IMAG1932.jpg

And two Videos:

- Ambibox

- Atmowin

Its just Smartphonequality but hope it shows the color problem.

Edit:
    Power Supply can handle 15A on 5V Line, think i used around 13A. Also tested both Baudrate options for MiniDMX in Atmowin, see no diffrence.

Last edited:

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Really strange.
    To make sure i understand correctly.
    You now have set the SEDU to RGB. Even though you need GRB. With RGB it seems to work but red and green are mixed. And with GRB you get the problem from the very first picture (2 different colors)?
    If so, i would suggest correcting the colors software wise. Its not the cleanest solution, but it should work.

In the Color/White adjustment window, select "Color adjustment". Now go through all the radio boxes (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow...) and set them up to show the color on the leds (as you have done in your screenshots). So for Red you set it to 0,255,0, for Green 255,0,0 and so on. Hit ok and test with liveview, Red and Green should be right again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom