ATT ALL AUSSIES - Need cable TV support (1 Viewer)

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all...
    I am looking at getting digital cable tv in Sydney.
    What i would like to do is install a DVB-S card in my server that will allow me to get cable TV via MediaPortal.

Have any of you fellow Aussies been successful in doing this ? and if so could you help me out ?

thanks heaps..

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I am looking at getting digital cable tv in Sydney.
    What i would like to do is install a DVB-S card in my server that will allow me to get cable TV via MediaPortal.

I am a bit confused - do you want to connect to Foxtel pay TV via coax cable (which requires a DVB-C card) or do you want to connect to a pay TV satellite dish (which requires a DVB-S card)?

Either way, there are no legal DVB-C or DVB-S cards that work with the Australian pay TV providers, that I am aware of ... :(

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Taipan,

Sorry for not being more descriptive.
    I am (was) looking at subscribing to Foxtel Digital Satelite, but you are correct. There are no "Legal" ways to do this... yet..

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Uncle Woja

Portal Member
    October 12, 2006
    Home Country
    You can do it. You need a card with a CI slot. Like This Then you need a CAM Like This

Then you stick your Foxtel/Optus/Austar smart card into the CAM and voila! Australian digital pay TV on your PC.

Now. I haven't done this so I don't know if it works or how well it works. I'd like to do this by going multi-room with Foxtel buy money doesn't allow this atm. The CAM I linked to does not guarantee that it will work with Aussie pay TV companies. You need to find a CAM (and I believe they're out there) that will handle NDS Videoguard encryption. A quick google search indicates that the Dragon CAM WILL work.

Now. Whether or not this is legal I know not.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    You can do it. You need a card with a CI slot. Like This Then you need a CAM Like This

Then you stick your Foxtel/Optus/Austar smart card into the CAM and voila! Australian digital pay TV on your PC.

Now. I haven't done this so I don't know if it works or how well it works. I'd like to do this by going multi-room with Foxtel buy money doesn't allow this atm. The CAM I linked to does not guarantee that it will work with Aussie pay TV companies. You need to find a CAM (and I believe they're out there) that will handle NDS Videoguard encryption. A quick google search indicates that the Dragon CAM WILL work.

Now. Whether or not this is legal I know not.

Thanks for the info uncle... seems like a plan. :)

wazm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2008
    Bathurst
    Home Country
    From reading here and various other forums, this no longer works with Foxtel, Optus or Austar as they changed their encryption method to prevent people from using anything other than their supplied box.

This solution does however work fine with Select TV as I have the card above with a cam in my media portal and it works perfectly.

The card and cam were supplied from Brisbane so you may be able to look up stores in Brisbane and talk to them however I am sure you will only get Select TV and FTA from satellites in in Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom