Attention: MediaPortal Developers!!! (1 Viewer)

goishin

Portal Member
April 15, 2006
Dudes and, if there are any, Dudettes,

You know, I don't really think much of MediaPortal. Actually, I don't think about it at all. And that's really the point of what I'm about to say. I've got it all set up, it's running on my little shuttle sitting under my tv at home, and I never ever think about it. It's always there, it's always on, it's always responsive. My friends come over and stare in awe as I flip to the A/V input and start leafing through my movies, trying to figure out what we're going to watch tonight. They think it's cool when I check out the weather, or look at the latest movie trailers, or turn on some tunes. I've since forgotten how cool I thought it was, too.

It could be better, of course. But then again, nothing's perfect. I wish there was a way to see the movies playing at the local theater like I can on my MyYahoo! page. I wish there was a way to do movielink rentals through the interface. I wish I could figure out how to get the subtitles to work only through the remote. I could even have the channel guide working a little better. It only works for a week, and then I have to do it again manually. But I know that these things are my fault, not yours. I haven't really put the effort in to making it work right.

You see, I'm lazy. And this is the truly beautiful part. I probably spent about two hours setting all this up. Putting the pc together and up on my network, working through the menus and the help files. And then it was up and running. I didn't put a whole lot more effort into the thing because, well, it didn't need it. It was up and running and that's that.

It works so good that I've since forgotten about it. It's like a new car. You get it, you're amazed at how cool it is, you're diggin' on that new car smell, and it's all yours. Then about a year later, it's kind of just become the way things are. You've become used to it. You only really stop and think about it if it needs some tender loving care, an oil change, a wash, etc. But I don't even have to do that for MediaPortal. It just kind of works.

And it's awesome. I keep forgetting that, because it's just another appliance in the home. But it is, isn't it?

It's awesome.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is thanks, Dudes and, if there are any, Dudettes. This has got to be the coolest thing in my home. It's the one item, besides my bed, that gets the most use in my home. And by association, I guess I think that you guys are the coolest, too.

Thanks,

- Goishin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom