Audio Book Plugin (1 Viewer)

Reg

Portal Pro
November 22, 2008
Christchurch
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Playing Audio Books in MP as music files is a pain as they are sometime over one hour long and fast forwarding doesn't work very well and it also means you cant just resume playback if you have stopped it halfway like a TV or video.

This topic has been raised in the past under different spelling (audiobook), but I see nothing as yet has been done to achieve good playback and resume of Audio Books in MP. There is a reluctance for the MP team to add such a feature to the music section of MP and with good reasons. So my thinking is that the best way to achieve simple playback and resume of Audio Books in MP is for someone with time and skills to write a plugin.

As well as allowing resume of playback if you have stopped it halfway like a TV or video a special Audio Book plugin might allow audio book files to be kept totally separate from music. Having them mixed up means that when randomly playing music files an audio book might suddenly start playing, maybe not what you want in the middle of a party or romantic evening with your sweetheart :)

Sadly I have no skills in writing a plugin myself, so if you have the needed time and skill please volunteer now. I would be happy to test such a plugin and give ideas as to what it would need to do.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Audio Book Plugin

Are you sure you are talking about a MP2 plugin? ;)

If not, can a mod please move the thread to MP1 part? :D

Reg

Portal Pro
    November 22, 2008
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: AW: Audio Book Plugin

Are you sure you are talking about a MP2 plugin? ;)

If not, can a mod please move the thread to MP1 part? :D

:sorry: Thanks for pointing out my mistake, yes I was hoping to drum up interest in getting a plugin started for MP 1.

So if it could be moved that would be great.:D

polarie

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2006
    Hasloh (near Hamburg)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    allthought the thread is "old" - i just moved it into the MediaPortal1 section.

couse christmas is coming - and the time for listening to audio-books @ cold evenings also arrived... :D

so ... some news ...?

EDIT:

isn't it possible to re-create the org. myMusic plugin
    with less features ...
    couse the only things needed is the resume-play kind of LLP (Last-listen-point)
    little local database for the cover and the short-discription/summery...
    only actions needed: play, pause & stop

i have no clue how "hard" the re-coding would be ...
    but maybe if a coder has the source code ...
    just the bookmark thing for LLP has to be added. (if thats only a "just"? ;) )

would be nice to have all my potter-books,
    my wifes crime-stories and my daughters
    Mondbär and Findus&Peterson (and what else she loves)
    comfortable on the client with a simple gui and simple usability...

Last edited:

Reg

Portal Pro
    November 22, 2008
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Its a shame nothing has become of this as yet, in the meantime I have been listening to them in iTunes, but would still prefer MediaPortal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom