Audio Codecs for Blu-Ray on Windows7 64bit and Vista 32bit (1 Viewer)

josch.hh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 29, 2008
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Based on some research for the Bluray Handler 0.9.1 plugin i know have some codec related questions.
    I hope someone can help.

Please take a look on the attached screen shoot of a graph taken from a Blu-Ray m2ts file (Harry Potter 6) with VC1 and English Audio in Dolby TrueHD.

Case 1) (Windows 7 64 bit, AC3 Filter 1.63b, Gabest splitter 1.3.1802, Gabest Audio codec 1.3.1802)
    I don't understand why both audio filters (AC3 and Gabest) are used. If i unregister one of them the audio line of the graph can't be rendered corretly. I can successfully connect the audio line of the graph manually with ether AC3 or Gabest but movie wont play corretly afterwords, ether have no sound or (with AC3) the movie doesn't play at all.

Case 2) (Windows Vista 32 bit, AC3 Filter 1.63b, Gabest splitter 1.3.1802, Gabest Audio codec 1.3.1802)
    Tested the same m2ts file under Vista32. The Graph looks different and no more issues with 2 audio codecs in a row (check screen shot). Even the Splitter part of the graph looks different, compared to the graph under Windows 7 64bit there are 2 boxes now, one for the file itself and one for the splitter.

What is going with it, i really don't understand why it is so differnent one this two OS?

Based on this my next question is: Which codecs can handle Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio with bitstream out?
    The prefeerred solution for me would be to pass all the audio as bitstream to my Onkyo AV receiver.

PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND.

Attachments

• Win764bit-VC1-TrueHD.jpg
      Win764bit-VC1-TrueHD.jpg
      89.4 KB
    • Vista32bit-VC1-TrueHD.jpg
      Vista32bit-VC1-TrueHD.jpg
      98.2 KB

The_Iceman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2008
    Duisburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Which hardware do you use for bitstreaming ? ATI graphicscard or asus soundcard?

If you are using an ATI try to use the latest Catalyst Drivers + ATI HDMI driver in combination with FFDSHOW as Audio Codec with MPC-HC Matroska Splitter this will enable bitsreaming to your Onkyo AMP

josch.hh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 29, 2008
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Audio Codecs for Blu-Ray on Windows7 64bit and Vista 32bit

Which hardware do you use for bitstreaming ? ATI graphicscard or asus soundcard?

If you are using an ATI try to use the latest Catalyst Drivers + ATI HDMI driver in combination with FFDSHOW as Audio Codec with MPC-HC Matroska Splitter this will enable bitsreaming to your Onkyo AMP

Thanks for the answer.
    Hardware setup for this is not finished yet, i am doing some research in front. I plan to use a Clarkdale i530 with Asus board.

Anyway the question about the differences with the filter graph from Vista 32bit to Windows 7 64bit is at the monent more interesting for me.
    I also try ffdshow on Windows7 64bit but with the same result: The AC3 Filter is always in the audio line (means the graph for Win7 with ffdshow looks the same way as the screen shot within the first post, if you replace the Audio MPC codec with ffdshow)

Maybe someone can post a screen shot from Windows 7 64bit with a similar codec setup, just to compare... would be interesting for me.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Based on this my next question is: Which codecs can handle Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio with bitstream out?
    The only thing which can bitstream HD Audio via Directshow (hence in MP) is currently the very latest SVN versions of FFDShow but this only works with the right hardware, splitters and renderers... (and is still a bit flaky)

What you are actually seeing here could be down to many different things (merits, different splitters etc)
    Even though you have 64 bit OS you are using the 32 bit version of GraphStudio /GraphEdit and you have installed the same 32 bit filters ??

Do you have the same settings on the filters on both systems? Are you sure they are both using the same splitter? (could one be using Haali and the other MPC ??)

Also there are some odd things that can happen with HD audio as DTS-HD has a core DTS track so this can just appear as normal DTS. Some TrueHD tracks have an interlaced AC3 track and can appear as standard AC3....

josch.hh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 29, 2008
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Audio Codecs for Blu-Ray on Windows7 64bit and Vista 32bit

What you are actually seeing here could be down to many different things (merits, different splitters etc)
    Even though you have 64 bit OS you are using the 32 bit version of GraphStudio /GraphEdit and you have installed the same 32 bit filters ??

Do you have the same settings on the filters on both systems? Are you sure they are both using the same splitter? (could one be using Haali and the other MPC ??)

Also there are some odd things that can happen with HD audio as DTS-HD has a core DTS track so this can just appear as normal DTS. Some TrueHD tracks have an interlaced AC3 track and can appear as standard AC3....

I am using 32bit GraphStudio and 32bit filters on both system, cause MP is 32bit, and all the efforts are done to get MP ready to run on the new system. I am sure that i am using the same filters.

As i mentioned above, the funny thing for Win7 64bit is (i am not sure if it has something to do with the 64bit version, might alo apply on Win7 32bit), if I unregister AC3Filter and let only ffdshow audio or MPC-MPA codec on the system, then graphstudio does not render the audio path of the m2ts file anymore. It always wants to have the AC3 filter together with one of the others.
    I also can set the merrit of AC3Filter to "do not use"... the graph after is still build with AC3Filter

I know about the DTS and DD core within the HD tracks, but anyway with the same filters i should get the same graph, or?
    Maybe has something to do with the Media Foundation in Win7.
    I also tried Win7 Filter Tweaker... no effect (on this issue).

I simply think that it is not good/effective to have more than one audio codec in the audio path.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Re: Audio Codecs for Blu-Ray on Windows7 64bit and Vista 32bit

I simply think that it is not good/effective to have more than one audio codec in the audio path.
    Indeed. I had great fun trying to get bitstreaming HD audio to work for me and had lots of issues like this (but only one OS so not sure why the difference)

My experience was that the biggest issue was that the splitters were not advertising the correct audio type. This then caused issues with the filter as I the only way to connect (according to Directshow anyway) was through multiple filters like you have and this just didn't actually work.

How are you outputting this audio currenly? You said your hardware could not cope wth HD audio? Are you attempting to ouput via S/PDIF and if so are MPC Audio decoder and AC3Filter both set to output via S/PDIF?

My hunch is that possibly the audio type advertised by the splitter is not recognised by AC3Filter but is by MPC but MPC is not set to output via S/PDIF and your default sound device is hence the need for AC3Fitler??

My advice would be to install the very latest MPC MPEG and Matroska splitters (and uninstall Haali) and also install the very latest SVN FFDShow. Have a read of
    Guide: Setting up FFDShow in Win7 - AVForums.com
    Guide: 7MC, mkv and HD audio - AVForums.com
    FFDShow/MPC-HC HD Audio Thread - AVForums.com

For some good advice and info. Also some guides to different settings you need

josch.hh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 29, 2008
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Re: Audio Codecs for Blu-Ray on Windows7 64bit and Vista 32bit

Thanks for the info.
    I will try to again verify all settings, i think i will do a clean reinstall of Windows and do some more research.

What is your current hardware, OS and filter setup, plz?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Audio Codecs for Blu-Ray on Windows7 64bit and Vista 32bit

What is your current hardware, OS and filter setup, plz?
    I am using a Xonar HDAV on XP which adds lots more complexity and problems... Even less combinations work with this setup...

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    The source filter looks different in the two screenshots. Can you verify which filters are in use by right clicking them in Graphedit and selecting Properties?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom