Audio Crackles and Pops (1 Viewer)

pilotedge

Portal Pro
February 19, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi installed Pure Audio hoping it would fix my problem of cracking audio. I'm on vista 32bit, with a trust 5.1 digital soundcard. Audio plays fine from WMP, and the audio of video files from MP is fine. Even with the buffers up at full the quliaty is terrible. I've looked everywhere to see if others have had this fault with no joy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

James

OK so after further looking it seems that the crackling only occurs when the MP menus are showing. i.e., it's fine when MP is minimized or in fullscreen visualisation. Thoughts?!

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    What's your CPU usage when the MP menus are being displayed and the crackling is occuring?

pilotedge

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

It's only at 10%. Turns out in fact that if I disable Desktop visuals in the MP shortcut compatibility, i.e. force Vista Basic mode on launch, it is smooth as. Maybe my video card is naff!! :oops:

Now all I need is to find out how to get a nice graphical album artist view like in Vista MCE.... :)

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Maybe an interrupt sharing issue with videocard... Moving the soundcard into different slot sometimes helps.

igor_uk

Portal Pro
    February 16, 2009
    I have exactly the same problem, soundcard is Trust 7.1
    It is hard to explain, but since an upgrade to this card every navigational sound is played short. The normal scrolling sound through the menu is corrupted and played only about half. I do not mind this, but at other times the sound crackles really fast through the speakers!!!

It feels that MP opens a channel to play a sound, then plays it and the shuts it down. So open-play-close then again open-play-close then open-play-close ... mean that close and open are really close in time, causing problems. I wonder if this makes any sense at all...

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It feels that MP opens a channel to play a sound, then plays it and the shuts it down. So open-play-close then again open-play-close then open-play-close ... mean that close and open are really close in time, causing problems. I wonder if this makes any sense at all...

Your feeling is right: MP does so, as far as i know anyway. However, is this problem relared to the plugin, or does it also happen when the plugin is disabled?

jmccarthy14

Portal Member
    May 2, 2009
    Having the same problem, crackling noise while playing music. Its running XP though.

EDIT: Noteworthy - I run the sound through HDMI from my video card to my TV, as well as the video. Strange though that video sounds play fine and the music player won't.

knuppel

Portal Member
    July 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Same issue here.
    Crackles and pops when playing mp3's. This happens with Bass Player & DShow player, under Windows XP and Windows 7.
    Both using Mediaportal RC2. Seems to worsen creating load (e.g. scrolling through the menu's).
    Every other application plays the mp3's just fine.

Activating PureAudio plugin. has not helped. Anyone ideas?
    I'm using Realtek HD audio with ATI 3200 integrated, playing over HDMI, and i'm guessing this is somehow ATI3200 HDMI related.

el Filou

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    That's interesting, I also got crackles and pops in ASIO mode with MP, with the internal player as well as with PureAudio. My system is XP SP3, Intel E7400, MP 1.0.2. Sound goes through ASIO4ALL (latest beta, but it was the same with previous stable) and then through HDMI of ATI 4650 to AVR, video and audio drivers are version 10.4 (but it was the same with 10.1. I can't use the Realtek driver because of the limitations it has with ReClock for video).

What's really irritating is that when I first set up my new audio system back in december, it was working fine and then one day I noticed pops and crackles when playing music without having changed any hardware driver, but they were scarce only happening when the system was doing something else, like browsing through folders and things like that. At least that was with 44.1 material, with 96 or higher material they were happening constantly. Now they happen constantly even with 44.1 material, and 96 and higher is simply unplayable (and seems to play in slowmo too).
    The thing is I can't guess what is causing that. I tried lowering MP rendering to 10 fps but that wasn't the cause. ReClock works fine, and it's also using Kernel Streaming like ASIO4ALL so I don't understand. I also changed every ASIO4ALL and PureAudio setting, to no avail.

When these cracks started happening I switched to using ReClock with the internal DirectShow player but that has many unpleasing side effects (demuxer and decoder hell, no gapless playback and no fade in/out, no quick skipping, etc.). I tried again ASIO4ALL today after having updated all drivers but it's actually worse than a few months ago. :(

Does anybody know a 3rd party player that can output ASIO so I can check if that's coming from ASIO4ALL or from MP? Can foobar do that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom